Sustainability @ Swansea Uni
Sustainable practices are increasingly being mainstreamed within the Higher Education sector. Swansea has extensive experience in managing cutting-edge research into sustainability and is leading the way with a number of innovations that have been introduced on campus.
The current Sustainability Policy was adopted by SMT and signed by the Vice-Chancellor Professor Richard B. Davies on 19th March 2012. As part of our ISO14001 certification, the policy is reviewed annually and is included in the annual Environmental Management Review with the SHE (Safety, Health and Environment) Committee chaired by the University Registrar.
Swansea University is committed to delivering the objectives and goals of the Sustainability Policy and has a detailed Sustainability Strategy 2016 - 2020 . The University Registrar, as part of SMT, oversees development and implementation of the Policy and Strategy for Sustainability. The SHE Committee enables a wide range of stakeholder input into the sustainability work programme, and includes representation from the three University Trade Unions and the Students Union.
A dedicated Sustainability Team was established in 2011, and the University provides annual budgets to support areas including Sustainability Projects, Sustainable Transport and Travel, SSSI Management, Waste Management and Recycling, and Invest to Save Projects. This budget increases annually.
Actions and initiatives on campus are diverse, and include:
- Sustainable practices incorporated into new buildings (e.g. geothermal exchange in the Institute of Life Science and BREEAM Outstanding Energy Safety Research Institute (ESRI))
- Education for Sustainable Development and Global Citizenship (ESDGC) and the RCE Wales - a Regional Centre of Expertise on ESDGC
- Swansea University's Sustainability Policy and Sustainability Strategy
- Ethical Procurement and Sustainable Procurement Policy at Swansea University
- Green Guide 2013 - Sustainability infomation for students, staff and visitors
- Carbon Management Plan - Swansea University's approach to carbon reduction
- Sustainable Transport and Travel including the BayCycles scheme
- The University's Sustainable Catering Policy Sustainable Catering Policy
- Used vegetable oil from campus turned into BioDiesel locally
- SWell - our Sustainability and WELLbeing Staff Engagement Programme
- The Student SWell - our Engagement and Employability Programme for students
- Brighter Futures Funding - Funding for student sustainability projects
- Making a home for wildlife - Biodiversity Action Plan 2016
- Getting Involved- Sustainability Communication & Engagement Action Plan