I am the academic lead for the Department of Adult Continuing Education within the college of Arts and Humanities. I have 20 years of experience working alongside the community across a range of educational roles supporting those from marginalised backgrounds to meet their full potential. I have keen interest in education and andragogical practice and am a Senior Fellow of the Higher Education Academy. I am also the director for employability for the College.
The research and writing I am involved in focuses on contemporary LGBTQ+ identities, Feminism and parenting, Anti-Oppressive Practice, and working with children and young people. I am a committee member for the Consortium of Sexuality Studies (CSS). The CSS provides an innovative research and service development environment where academics, stakeholder organisations and policy makers collaborate to identify sexuality needs/concerns of the community and strive to deliver positive social change which contributes to the health and wellbeing of citizens through empowering community learning frameworks.
Equality and supporting diversity is central to all of my work and I support the University in the development and enhancement of equality, diversity and inclusion across both gender and race.
Teaching and Research Interests:
- Work Based Learning and Self-directed learning
- Sexuality and young people
- Reflective practice and professional development
- Leading change and managing others
- Rights, equality, discrimination and oppression
- Black and minority ethnic perspectives
- Intergenerational Practice
Committee and group membership:
- Organisation & culture Athena Swan Chair
- Race Equality Charter Mark deputy Chair
- Consortium for Sexuality Studies
- Employability Management Committee