As deputy director of the pan-Wales ASTUTE project, my main focus is modelling work for numerous materials problems covering a variety of time and length scales. This work has enjoyed close collaboration with UK and European manufacturers.
Some recent and ongoing projects include:
- Nano scale modelling of ageing of steels using Kinetic Monte Carlo Method (Tata Steel Company)
- Nano scale modelling of the leaching of Raney-Ni catalytic powders using Kinetic Monte Carlo Method (European Space Agency, CERAM, Johnson-Matthey, Leiden University Holland among others)
- Micro scale Computational Fluid Dynamics modelling for numerical determination of permeability during dendritic solidification of alloys
- Micro scale electro chemical modelling of localized corrosion (Tata Steel Company)
- Micro scale diffusion modelling for Ti alloys (Rolls-Royce plc)
- Macro scale FD/FE simulation of moisture ingress into CFRP aerospace materials (Airbus UK)
- Macro scale FE radiative heat transfer modelling (DSTL Farnborough)
- Macro scale electro-thermo-mechanical modelling of hot-forming, hot-rolling, coiling & several resistance welding processes (Tata Steel Company)
- Macro scale heat transfer and solidification modelling of casting processes (several Welsh-SMEs via ASTUTE project)
- Discrete Element Modelling of Granular Flow for Blast Furnace and Granular Material Transport (Tata Steel Company)
Full scale Discrete Element Method (DEM) model of a large scale Ball Mill.
Full scale Discrete Element Method (DEM) model of Nickel pellet production process.
Full scale Discrete Element Method (DEM) model of the charging of a blast furnace.
New project work has now begun involving Lattice-Boltzmann Modelling of Additive Layer Manufacturing (new EU-FP7 Research Project with European Space Agency).