Emeritus Professor John Baylis
Specialist Subjects: Anglo-American Defence Relations, Britain and NATO, British Nuclear Strategy and Arms Control.
During his career Professor Baylis taught at Liverpool, Aberystwyth and Swansea Universities. At Swansea he was Head of the Department of Politics and International Relations and Pro-Vice Chancellor until he retired in 2008. He also spent periods lecturing in the United States in Virginia and Utah.
John is a renowned expert in the field of international politics focusing on issues of strategy and arms control.
His publications include:
- Joint Author, with Kristan Stoddart of THE BRITISH NUCLEAR EXPERIENCE: THE ROLE OF BELIEFS, CULTURE AND IDENTITY (Oxford University Press, 2015).
- Joint Editor of, and Contributor with James Wirtz and Colin S. Gray to STRATEGY IN THE CONTEMPORARY WORLD (Oxford University Press, 2002) pp 357. (2nd ed. 2006, 3rd ed. 2009, 4th ed. 2013, 5th ed. 2015).
- Joint Editor of, and Contributor, with Jon Roper, to THE UNITED STATES AND EUROPE: BEYOND THE NEO-CONSERVATIVE DIVIDE? (London: Routledge, 2006), pp 236.
- Joint Editor of, and Contributor with Robert O’Neill to ALTERNATIVE NUCLEAR FUTURES: THE ROLE OF NUCLEAR WEAPONS IN THE POST-COLD WAR WORLD (Oxford University Press, 2000) pp 259.
- Joint Editor of, and Contributor with Steve Smith and Patricia Owens to THE GLOBALIZATION OF WORLD POLITICS: AN INTRODUCTION TO INTERNATIONAL RELATIONS (Oxford University Press, 1997, 2001; 2nd ed. 2003; 3rd ed.2005; 4th ed. 2007; 5th 2010; 6th ed. 2013; 7th ed. 2016) pp.526. Arabic, Polish, Turkish, French, Korean, Greek and Macedonian translations have been published.
- Author of AMBIGUITY AND DETERRENCE: BRITISH NUCLEAR STRATEGY 1945-1963 (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1995) pp. 500.
- Author of THE DIPLOMACY OF PRAGMATISM: BRITAIN AND THE FORMATION OF NATO (Macmillan and Kent State University Press 1993), pp.198.
- Joint Editor with J C Garnett and contributor to MAKERS OF MODERN NUCLEAR STRATEGY (Pinter, 1991), pp.206.
- Author of BRITISH DEFENCE POLICY: STRIKING THE RIGHT BALANCE (Macmillan, 1990), pp.169.
- Joint Author with K Booth of BRITAIN, NATO and NUCLEAR WEAPONS (Macmillan, 1989,) pp 374.
- Author of ANGLO-AMERICAN DEFENCE RELATIONS, 1939-84 (Macmillan, 1984), pp.290 A Japanese translation of the second edition of the book was also published by Toyokeizai in 1988.
- Editor of, and contributor to, ALTERNATIVE APPROACHES TO BRITISH DEFENCY POLICY (Macmillan, 1983) pp.247.
- Editor of, and contributor to BRITISH DEFENCE POLICY IN A CHANGING WORLD (Croom Helm, 1977), 295 pp.