Key strategic aims
The University will build its research capacity and portfolio to ensure its sustainability through diversifying and increasing its research grant capture from all available sources of funding, with particular focus on:
- The final round of the European Structural Funds which it will use to build capacity in collaboration with other Welsh HEIs and beyond Wales. The University is leading on twelve and partnering on five significant ERDF/ESF Convergence Programme proposals that will foster inter-disciplinary collaborative research and generate knowledge and talent flow in areas that have significant potential for making a fundamental contribution to the Welsh economy. These areas include the Digital Economy (ICT), Energy and Environment, Advanced Materials and Manufacturing, Creative Industries, Life Sciences and Financial and Professional Services.
- Targeting a significant increase in RCUK funding, which has begun to be realised with an overall 30% increase in RCUK grant capture between 2008/09 and 2009/10, and with significant increases in STEM related areas.
- Leading and participating in several EU Framework 7 projects.
The University also aims to
- Strengthen its internationally competitive research base by placing an increased emphasis upon applied research with links to R&D through activities funded by sponsors such as the TSB, RCUK, EU and industry, as outlined in WAG's 2010 Economic Renewal: A New Direction strategy.
- Undergo ambitious growth in key academic areas developed in partnership with industry and government that will stimulate the development of a Knowledge Economy in South West Wales and beyond. This is supported by our ambition to create a world-leading research, innovation and educational facility at the proposed Bay Science and Innovation Campus.
- Develop further collaborations with industry (SMEs and MNCs) through a growing broad portfolio of research, infrastructure and economic development initiatives.
- Be responsive to the challenges posed and opportunities provided by the environment in which it functions. In particular we will align ourselves to support the ambitions of the Welsh Assembly Government and the HEFCW to make Wales a cleverer country and to position ourselves competitively in the global marketplace.