"An extraordinarily strong performance"
The results of the 2008 Research Assessment Exercise (RAE) showed that Swansea had the largest increase in internationally excellent research in the whole of the UK, with over 90% of its academic staff classed as research active.
The University was ranked 36th in the 2008 Research Assessment Exercise (RAE) power table, where 27 out of Swansea University's 31 research areas are shown to be undertaking world-leading work.
Almost 50 per cent of staff were rated as world-leading or internationally excellent in terms of originality, significance and rigour (4* and 3*).
The University demonstrated an extraordinarily strong performance against other UK universities in the disciplines of Engineering, Medicine and Computer Science, where almost all staff were classed as producing world-leading or internationally excellent research in the RAE 2008 results. The results also highlight outstanding internationally recognised research excellence in Geography, Economics, Welsh and History.
- When the profile for each Unit of Assessment is turned into a weighted average, Swansea University's Civil Engineering department achieves an overall UK ranking of second, just behind Imperial College London.
- 92 per cent of staff within the University's College of Engineering are classed as producing research of international quality or above (grades 4*, 3* and 2*).
- In its first submission for assessment, 87 per cent of staff in the College of Medicine staff were assessed as producing research of international quality or above (grades 4*, 3* and 2*).
- Out of 31 subject areas submitted, Swansea University came first in 17 areas in Wales, and first or second in 24 areas.
- The results represent a huge endorsement of Swansea University's development and investment plans over the past few years.