Following the success of the Swansea University Research Grant Enabler (SURGE) last year, additional funding has been made available for projects to be spent by the end of June 2017.
This scheme supports the University’s research income growth strategy to attain £70m of research income by 2020. The emphasis is on large, strategic research funding applications, especially RCUK, H2020 and we would like to encourage applications to large UK charities.
SURGE has six key interventions:
- Networking / Interview Preparation Fund - Maximum bid value of £3.5k per applicant to support the costs of travel to meet with existing or new partners to progress a research proposal. This includes preparation for applications at an advanced stage e.g. invited to interview for a European Research Council Grant. Please note this should not be used for conference travel.
- Strategic Partnership with Grenoble, Travel Grants - Maximum bid value of £3.5k per applicant to progress to fruition a strategic research proposal with Grenoble.
- Bid Writing Support - Maximum bid value of £5k per applicant. Estimating a minimum of 10 hours bid writing support from external consultants/experts.
- Specialist Consultant, Major Projects - Maximum bid value of £5k per applicant.
- Seed Corn Funding, Proposal Development - Seed corn funding to support bid support that might require a hybrid package of support including travel and bid writing. Maximum value of £7k per intervention.
- Travel to Research Councils / Key Funders – We would like to foster closer links between academics and key funders, particularly the Research Councils.
For all of the above, the expectation is that in the STEM area, the application for external funding is greater than £500,000 fEC and £200,000 fEC for Humanities and Social Sciences.
There will be flexibility to ensure support is directed to the most appropriate projects. All applications to SURGE must identify a specific call they intend to work towards and result in a competitive proposal to a major funder.
All SURGE submissions will now made via the Awards Management System. In the proposal setup please select Swansea University as the funder and then SURGE as the Scheme. Then upload the SURGE application form via the document store.
If you have any queries regarding SURGE and the process please email Dr. Mark Penny. The deadline for applications 28th February 2017 and we aim to notify successful applicants by 5th March 2017. We hope you seize the opportunity to strengthen the quality, breadth and strategic relevance of your future applications through SURGE.
- Friday 3 March 2017 15.45 GMT
- Friday 3 March 2017 10.54 GMT
- James Pack, Tel: 01792 606410