Swansea University students and players, past and present, will be pulling on their red rugby jerseys this weekend when they proudly represent Wales in the RBS 6 Nations matches weekend.
Will Jones (student), Phil Jones (student), Alun Wyn Jones (Alumnus) and Siwan Lillicrap (Alumna and Head of Rugby), have all been included in Wales’ match day squads for this weekend’s 6 Nations matches against Italy.
It is the first time that Will and Phil have been selected to play for Wales U20 and the first time Will has been selected as captain of the team.
Will, an Engineering scholar, is captaining Wales U20’s on Friday night against Italy. Will is the third U20 captain to be selected whilst being a student at Swansea University during the last 4 years. Previous U 20 captains include Steff Hughes (2014) and Rory Thornton (2015) who were formerly students.
Will was awarded a sporting scholarship, donated by Dr Carol Bell Chair of Swansea University’s Development Advisory Board, which assists up-and-coming athletes to pursue their academic studies.
Business Management scholar Phil Jones, who is also a recipient of a Swansea University sporting scholarship, has also been included in the Wales U20 match day squad. Phil plays for Swansea in the Principality premiership and has featured for the Ospreys this season.
Swansea University Law graduate Alun Wyn Jones, will be leading the men’s team out on to the pitch on Sunday as captain. He made his full International debut for Wales on a tour to Argentina in 2006. He has been a constant selection for Wales 6 Nations over the years.
Swansea University Head of Rugby, Siwan Lillicrap, has been selected for the Wales Women match day squad for their match on Saturday. Siwan has been an active member of Swansea University rugby, both on and off the pitch.
Other former Swansea University students who are also making their mark for Welsh rugby include Rob Howley, former student and Honorary Fellow, acting Head Coach of the Welsh Team and two former students, Tom and Morgan Williams, who played in the Welsh Varsity 2015 are excelling in their rugby career on the IRB 7’s circuit representing Wales in the Sydney 7s this weekend as part of the World Series.
- This weekend’s RBS 6 Nations Wales v Italy fixtures are:
- Friday 3 February. Wales U20 Men. KO 19.00
- Saturday 4 February. Wales Women. KO 15.00
- Sunday 5 February. Wales Men. KO 15.00
- For more information about Dr Carol Bell and her donation go to http://www.swansea.ac.uk/alumni/newsandevents/news/donorsthankedatthegreathall.php
- For more information about rugby at Swansea University go to http://www.swansea.ac.uk/sport/elitesport/rugbyunion/
- For more information about the annual Swansea v Cardiff Welsh Varsity Challenge 2017 which takes place in Cardiff on 5 April go to http://www.swansea.ac.uk/varsity/
Picture 1: (l to r) Alun Wyn Jones, Phil Jones, Siwan Lillicrap and Will Jones.
Picture 2. Dr Carol Bell with Will Jones at the Liberty Stadium
- Thursday 2 February 2017 17.48 GMT
- Thursday 2 February 2017 17.58 GMT
- Swansea University, Tel: 01792 295050