Swansea University’s Electronic Systems Design Centre (ESDC) was awarded the University Research Group of the Year 2016 award at the NMI Awards in London on Friday 18 November.
The NMI Awards celebrate the year’s key electronics innovations, people and companies from across the UK and Ireland. It has been run as an annual event since 2001.
The Research Group of the Year category specifically promotes departments and teams that demonstrate excellent liaison and partnership with industry.
Based within Swansea University’s College of Engineering, the Electronic Systems Design Centre is known for its ground-breaking research into Power IC technology, the key technology for more energy efficient electronics. The Centre is also a world-leader in semiconductor device modelling, FEM and compact modelling.
In presenting the award, NMI CEO Derek Boyd said: “This year’s winner has a very strong and growing portfolio in electronics systems with a particular focus on Power Electronics and Energy Harvesting. Swansea has an excellent and broad-ranging relationship with industry, working with companies such as BT, Siemens, Plessey and GE lighting.
“Crucially, the team has built on strong industry contacts to develop a systematic and successful skills pipeline in electronics.”
Dr Petar Igic, Director of ESDC, added: “I am very pleased that high quality of our research and excellent relationship with the industry have been praised and recognised by the NMI award panel this year. We will continue to demonstrate world-class research and development in power semiconductor technology, devices and power electronics coupled with a strong focus on the skills of young engineers.
Last night’s awards were held at a prestigious venue in London’s Bankside. The Awards and Gala Dinner, which saw the electronics systems trade body’s 20th anniversary celebrations, was also attended by the Rt Hon Matt Hancock MP, the Minister of State responsible for digital policy.
Full list of winners:
- The UKESF Scholar of the Year Award - Joanna Taylor - University of Bristol / Imagination
- The Young Engineer of the Year award - Keno Mario-Ghae, Imagination
- The Innovation Award - Ultrahaptics
- Emerging Technology Company - Senseye
- The Silicon to Software Design Award - Vertizan / Cascoda
- The More Than Moore Award - Sequans
- The Automotive Electronics Innovation & Excellence Award - Fusion Processing
- The Research Collaboration Award - Ultra Electronics
- The Product of the Year Award - XAAR
- The University Research Group of the Year Award - Swansea University
- The Manufacturing Site of the Year Award - Diodes inc.
- The Manufacturing Supplier of the Year Award - KMG Ultra Pure Chemicals
- The Company of the Year Award - Renishaw
Learn more about the Electronic Systems Design Centre.
NMI is the UK trade association representing the electronic systems, microelectronics and semiconductor communities. Its objective is to catalyse and accelerate the continual development of a sustainable and world-leading industry in the UK.
NMI is a not-for-profit organisation funded by its membership, which includes electronic systems design and manufacturing companies, integrated device manufacturers, fabless semiconductor manufacturers, semiconductor foundries, semiconductor suppliers, electronics design services, intellectual property providers, research and academic institutions.
- Tuesday 22 November 2016 15.31 GMT
- Tuesday 22 November 2016 15.34 GMT
- Catrin Newman