Publicising your work
We’re here to help you highlight your research work in the media and raise your academic profile.
Publicising your work has many benefits, including enhancing the reputation of your department and the University. We can offer guidance on all aspects of dealing with the media, from preparing a press release, to tips on how to give a successful interview.
You can help us to ensure timely and efficient media coverage by:
- notifying us before your research paper is published online.
- letting us know in advance if an external body is issuing a press release about your work.
- providing high-resolution images or videos that accompany your work.
- informing us if a journalist contacts you directly.
What to send to the Press Office
Please provide a summary of your research/ event, concentrating particularly on aspects that members of the public would be interested in. In order for us to generate as much media interest as possible, please supply this information as soon as you can.
Press releases are generally no longer than 450 words, so please don’t send too much text, simply highlight some of the key points, such as:
- any advances in the areas being discussed.
- is the work cutting-edge?
- the benefits or potential benefits to the public.
- Swansea’s contribution to the subject matter.
Please send your information to email@example.com
Directory of experts
We often receive requests for experts to comment on stories in the news – anything from economics to volcanic eruptions. If you are prepared to act as an expert and be added to our directory of experts, please email us with details of your areas of expertise, and your contact details.
Dealing with the media
Dealing with the media can be a daunting prospect, but it is also hugely rewarding in raising the profile of your work and the University as a whole.
The Press Office can offer help and guidance to you when preparing for a media interview, and can also advise on media training providers.
If you are directly approached by a journalist, please inform us as soon as possible.