Ever wondered why mothers are encouraged to breastfeed?
Or why so much attention is paid to childhood obesity?
Do you believe that mothers should be ‘grateful that they have a healthy baby’ or is birth experience more important than that?
Perhaps you are a Professional working in practice and want to know the latest evidence behind what you do?
Or perhaps you are a Professional who wants to know the evidence behind an issue to strengthen your argument to drive forward a new policy?
Then this taught Master’s programme is for you. Exploring the evidence base underpinning Child Public Health policy in the UK and Internationally, this course examines health issues for children (and their families) aged 0 – 11 years such as perinatal health, nutrition and immunisations. It highlights the importance of child health, not only as a concept of illness, but as affecting wider long term educational, social and emotional development.
The programme uses a bio-psycho-social approach to critically evaluate the multitude of factors that influence child health and the role of multi-disciplinary professionals, policy makers and government in child health promotion and governance. Overall, it will emphasise the importance of the early years upon future child and population health and consider the public health policies and interventions established to promote and enhance this.
The course will:
- Enhance understanding of the evidence base that drives Child Public Health policy, promotion and practice
- Develop students critical perspective on the importance of child health, the interplay of factors that affect it and the impact it can have upon child outcomes
- Promote critical understanding of child health from an integrated, holistic perspective examining evidence from biological, psychological and social angles
- Raise awareness of the number of professions who play a role in Child Public Health and explore the importance of inter-professional working
- Equip students with the knowledge to understand and promote child health in professional settings