The PPT group has twelve permanent staff members, together with postdoctoral research officers and research students. It is one of the largest particle physics theory groups in the UK, supported by STFC, the Royal Society, the Leverhulme Trust and the European Union.
Research in the Particle Theory Group covers a wide range of interests in fundamental particle physics, from the theory of the strong interactions, both perturbatively and non-perturbatively, and physics beyond the Standard Model, to black holes, holography and string theory. We are also actively involved in high-performance computing (HPC) and are part of the UKQCD collaboration and the STFC funded DiRAC Facility.
The PPT group currently undertakes research in the following areas:
- Integrability and AdS/CFT
- Higher spin holography
- Dense quark matter at strong coupling and gauge/string duality
- Quantum fields in curved spacetime
- Theoretical cosmology
- Amplitudes in gauge and supergravity theories
- Non-abelian T-duality and supergravity solutions
- Holography and physics beyond the Standard Model
- Large-N gauge theories, supersymmetry and duality
- Lattice studies of strongly interacting systems
- Lattice QCD at nonzero temperature
- Dense quark matter and the sign problem
- High-performance computing