If you are a member of staff whose line manager is changing, please could you consider the following actions:
- Arrange an informal meeting with your new line manager to introduce yourself and to discuss your performance over the past year.
- To help ensure that your review is meaningful and that you receive recognition, upload all supporting documentation using the “Documents Upload” section.
If you are a member of staff with Professional Services Values in your job description:
- Colleagues who have Professional Services Values within their job descriptions have been asked to participate in a feedback exercise. Prior to your PDR or probationary meeting you will have completed a self-assessment based on a set of clear values expectations. Your reviewer has also conducted an assessment, and these will form the basis of the discussion during the PDR meeting.
- Information has been uploaded to your PDR and made available for probationary members of staff by 1st September.
Step 1 - Preparation for Your Face to Face Discussion:
- Role Profile: If applicable please note any changes to your role since your last professional development review (if there have been no changes, please annotate with “Not Applicable”).
- Previous Objectives:
Colleagues with values in their job descriptions only: if you participated in the feedback exercise in 2016, your agreed objectives relating to this feedback can be found under the “Feedback Objectives” section. Please take the time to reflect on your performance against these objectives. In the “Progress Notes” text area, please capture your evidence in support of your status. Using the drop down box options of “Achieved”, “Not Achieved” or “Not Applicable” please update your status against each objective. Your 2016 values feedback may be found by clicking “last year’s feedback”.
Personal Objectives: please take the time to reflect on your performance last year. Using the drop down box options of “Achieved”, “Not Achieved” or “Not Applicable” please update your status against each objective. In the “Progress Notes” text area, please capture your evidence in support of your status.
- Current Objectives:
Colleagues with values in their job descriptions only: your “Values Feedback Report” has been uploaded into the “Document Uploads” section of your PDR. The “Feedback Objectives” tab allows you to captureagreed outcomes, actions, support measures and level of commitment in relation to the values feedback. In creating these, we would encourage you to think about enhancing existing strengths as well as your development. Your 2017 feedback report will also be available in this section by clicking on “your feedback”.
Objectives: reflecting on the University/your department’s objectives, please enter details of your proposed objectives for the year 2017/2018. Please ensure all sections are completed including - description, measurement, target date and if applicable any “APECS Training Requirements”/ “Other Development Requirements”.
- Document Uploads:
Please upload any information that will help your discussion with your line manager and to ensure that you are recognised where you have performed well.
Colleagues with values in their job descriptions: your Values Feedback Report has been automatically uploaded onto your PDR. This document will be locked into your PDR and you will be unable to edit or remove it.
- Notes and Messages: If you wish to add a note to your line manager, enter the note in the “add new note” text box and click the “save” button. If you want the note to be private (that is, visible only to you) then tick the ‘Note Is Private?’ check box.
- Save: You are able to “Save” at any stage, revisit and amend the content as you wish. At this stage the information can only be viewed by you.
- Submit to Reviewer: Once you believe you have completed all your preparation, please press “Submit”. This submission will result in an email being sent to your line manager which will enable them to view a read only copy of your PDR form. At this stage they can add any notes or talk to you directly in preparation for your face to face meeting.
Step 2 - The Face to Face Meeting:
Review of Previous Objectives
- The review is a two way discussion about what has been achieved against your previously agreed objectives. It is important that you and your line manager have prepared for this discussion.
- The discussion should include a summary of feedback on your achievements and performance. This feedback should be balanced, incorporating achievements and good performance as well as challenging any areas where your performance might be improved. It is important that you are encouraged to explore any ways in which you believe you can improve.
Agreeing Current Objectives 2017/2018
- For each objective, both you and your line manager should discuss and agree the specific objective description, measurement, target date and support required to enable you to achieve a successful outcome.
- In addition, please agree with your line manager a date to meet for your interim review which should be within 6 months of the PDR meeting.
- You should leave this discussion feeling valued, recognised and challenged. You should have a clear understanding of the expectations of your role and the standard of performance required and how you may be provided with the appropriate support, feedback, coaching and skills to enable good performance in your role. This should include a discussion about your career and development.
Step 3 - Following the face to Face Meeting:
- Please amend your online PDR as agreed during your face to face meeting and press “Save”.
- On completion of this information, add a note in the “add new note “text box and click the “Save” button, advising your line manager that the form is ready for final approval. This will result in an email being sent to your line manager informing them of your progress.
- On receipt of the above your line manager will agree your amendments and add a summary reflecting the face to face discussion in the notes section. They will input the date of your face to face meeting, tick the check box to confirm the face to face meeting has taken place, input the agreed date for your interim review and press “approve”.
- As soon as your line manager approves the review, you will receive a confirmation email to this effect containing a summary of the review meeting and also an Outlook calendar attachment. This attachment contains an alert for the agreed target date of your interim review as input by your line manager. You can import the attachment into your Outlook calendar (by double clicking it and clicking on 'Save and Close'). This will also create a calendar reminder to complete the confidential online PDR survey within 24 hours of your PDR being approved.
- At this point, the status of your review will change to “Approved”.
Step 4 - Online Survey:
- Once your PDR has been approved, you will be invited via email to complete an online survey by clicking the link contained within the email.
- This survey will be treated as confidential and will take no more than 5 minutes to complete. It is critical for us to understand and learn how meaningful your PDR experience has been and your feedback is very important to us, so we would ask that you please take the time to complete this survey.