The Equality Committee was originally established in 1993. The purpose of the Committee is to monitor equality and consider ways of extending equal opportunities at Swansea University in relation to employment and student issues. The Equality Committee reports directly to the University Management Board.
The Equality Committee is committed to delivering the University strategic aims by championing equality, diversity .The work of this Committee will be guided and informed by the Universities belief and commitment to inclusiveness, participation, openness, and quality of provision.
The purpose of the committee is to strategically drive equality and diversity across the University, identify equality objectives for staff and students, identify and resolve challenges, monitor progress and support the University in its mission of becoming a Top 20 Institution.
The Equality Committee reports directly to the University Management Board.
The terms of reference for the Equality Committee are as follows:
- To oversee a strategic approach to ensure that equality policies and principles are translated into action in relation to the requirements of the Equality Act 2010.
- To make recommendations via the Management Board and/or the Human Resources Policy Committee (or other relevant committees) regarding the progress and evaluation of the Strategic Equality Plan.
- To advise the Management Board on the fulfilment of the University’s statutory obligations.
- To progress the Strategic Equality Plan and to ensure that the objectives are translated into programmes of action throughout the University, removing barriers and facilitating progress.
- To advise College’s and Departments in the implementation of the Strategic Equality Plan
- To support and progress equality and diversity through work streams including, but not limited to , Athena SWAN, Race Charter Mark, Stonewall Workplace Equality Index.
- Report on the equality dimension of any aspect of the University’s policies and procedures where appropriate.
- To benchmark and become influential equality exemplars in and throughout the sector.
- To receive and consider reports from the Director of Human Resources, the Equality Advisors and other relevant Officers, as well as annual reports on equality monitoring statistics.
- To establish task groups in relation to specific areas of work as required.
Please contact a member of the Equality team if you would like to request minutes of previous meetings.