The Medical School
Founded in 2004 the Medical School is one of the fastest growing medical schools in the UK
Learning and teaching
Swansea University's Medical School is a centre of excellence in world-class medical teaching and research.
Located in the heart of the Swansea University Campus, our Medical School delivers a comprehensive education and training portfolio, from undergraduate and post-graduate programmes in medicine, to professional graduate training and research.
We also work closely with our NHS partners in achieving excellence in teaching, research and clinical service.
The School's principal teaching activities include:
- Undergraduate and higher degree programmes, including PhD, MD, MCh and Masters degrees
- A four-year Graduate Entry Medicine Programme unique to Wales and one of a small group of fast-track programmes of medical study in the UK.
- St David's Medical Foundation, a registered charity supporting excellence in research and education at the College.
Research and innovation
The Institute of Life Science (ILS) is the research enterprise and innovation arm of Swansea University’s Medical School. The vision for ILS is to advance medical science through interdisciplinary research and innovation to improve the health wealth and well-being of the people of Wales and beyond.
The Institute of Life Science
- is a unique example of successful collaboration between the NHS, academia and industry in the life science and health sector featuring two research council funded centres CIPHER and EPSRC Mass Spectrometry.
- enjoys close links with the Colleges of Engineering and Science especially through the Centre for NanoHealth.
- is Wales’ premier purpose-built medical research facility.
- a collaboration between Swansea University and the Welsh Government, together with Abertawe Bro Morgannwg University Health Board, and industry and business partners.
- is the single largest investment ever made by the Welsh Government on any university campus.
- Phases 1 and 2 were delivered on time and in budget.
Growing life science businesses is at the core of what we do. The ILS team is dedicated to building links with business and for business. There are many ways that ILS can provide access to the help and support businesses need to prosper, and develop innovative products, processes and services to benefit human health including collaborative research, client organisations, affiliate membership and partnership"