Nine Swansea University students, past and present, will proudly wear Wales shirts in the next few weeks after being selected to play in the 2018 Six Nations Championship.
The women’s Senior Squad will be running out onto the Colwyn Bay pitch on Friday 2nd February (6:00pm Parc Eirias), and with them includes:
- Siwan Lillicrap - Former (BSc) Sport and Exercise Science student and Current Head of Rugby at Swansea University
- Cara Hope - (MSc) Medicine by Research
- Natalia John - 3rd year (BEng) Material Science and Engineering
The 36-player squad features 10 uncapped players, including Cara Hope and Natalia John, and whilst it is their first international game, Siwan Lillicrap made her debut against Ireland at Donnybrook in the 2016 Six Nations championship.
Siwan, said: “I’m extremely honoured and proud to be named in the 2018 Six Nations squad. With a young squad ready to play an exciting style of rugby, it’s set to be a great campaign. The feeling of pride and honour never changes when you get the opportunity to represent your country. The hard work now steps up another notch to make sure we have the best possible campaign, and as always I am very grateful for the support and encouragement I receive from the University”
The Men’s Under 20s will be kicking off their championship against Scotland shortly after the Women’s Senior Squad on Friday 2nd February (8:15pm Parc Eirias, Colwyn Bay), with Head Coach Jason Strange including six Swansea University students:
- Will Jones - 2nd year (BSc) Sport and Exercise Science
- Dan Davies - 1st year (BSc) Sport and Exercise Science
- Will Griffiths - 1st year (BSc) Geography
- Morgan Jones - 1st year(BSc) Criminology and Criminal Justice
- Corey Baldwin - 1st year (BSc) Business Management
- Cai Evans - 1st year (BSc) Accounting and Finance
In addition to getting the opportunity to play in one of the biggest dates in the rugby union calendar, the Six Nations experience and training will also help in their preparation for the forthcoming Welsh Varsity match, where once again Swansea will take on their Cardiff rivals to battle it out for possession of the Varsity Shield.
- Tuesday 30 January 2018 08.37 GMT
- Tuesday 30 January 2018 09.59 GMT
- Ffion White