Research support from your subject team
Your subject team can help with:
- Literature searching. We can give help in using our journal databases and in searching for more elusive publications such as theses, conference proceedings and patents. If you're not finding anything on your subject let us know and we'll try searching for you.
- Training - Subject librarians provide training for postgraduate students as part of the university postgraduate programme - details of our sessions can be found on our training web site. We also offer some courses for staff and are happy to see staff on an individual basis.
- Reference management and citations. We can help with the EndNote bibliographic software and may also be able to advise you about other options. More help with EndNote and EndNote online can be found in our Blackboard site.
There are free options which you may wish to explore such as Mendeley , Zotero, Colwiz andReadCube. Some of these have different emphases such as collaboration or annotating PDFs which may be useful for some projects. Wikipedia has a table comparing the functionality of reference managers, which operating systems they work on and which word processors they can be used with which may help you to decide what would be useful for you. We are not able to provide in depth support for these free packages but there is often online help available.
- Exploiting your research. Subject librarians can advise you about managing your research presence using tools such as researcher ID, ORCID, and others.
- Discovering your impact. Find out how who is citing your research.
- Advice on ISS services and who to contact.
- Using other libraries. Sconul Access is a reciprocal scheme which allows researchers to borrow from other university libraries. You need to fill in an online form on their website. The National Library of Wales has a collection of online resources for Welsh users. It is possible to join online without visiting Aberystwyth if you are interested in using these. Click the Join the Library button on the NLW home page.
Some examples of recent subject team work for researchers include searching for systematic reviews, editing EndNote styles to suit a particular journal, seeking out information on past budget speeches and doing citation analysis in support of the REF. Contact us to see whether we can help with your research.
|Arts and Humanities||Ian Glenfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Human & Health Sciences||Clare Boucheremail@example.com|
The table gives the academic liaison librarian in charge of each team. Full details of all subject librarians can be found on our subject page.