Getting help with RIS
Quick RIS Tips
Once you have logged into RIS your home profile page will be displayed. If you are an administrator for a College, you will also see an Administration tab - this contains a full list of outputs for all staff in your College
- Adding Research Outputs Click Outputs and then Add Output. Complete the data fields with the details of your research output. You can add all the data manually to each of the fields or, if you know the DOI, you can fill in the basic fields automatically.
- The Publish in Cronfa (tick box option) on the Outputs tab will make the bibliographic details / metadata of your output visible on Cronfa, the university’s public repository of research outputs. Everything that appears in Cronfa will be publicly visible and indexed by Google and other search engines. The Publish option is set to "Y" for certain output types that are already published.
- Use the Documents tab to upload a full text file for an output. You need to have added the Output details first. When you have uploaded a file, you then have the option to "Publish to Cronfa" and set an embargo date if necessary. Quick guide to adding full text.
Please use the RIS and Cronfa User Guide (PDF) for detailed help or contact us on email@example.com
There is a short video showing how to access RIS and enter a journal article.
About RIS (Research Information System)
Swansea University's Research Information System (RIS) is designed to be a single, central repository of published and ongoing research at the University. All research publications authored or co-authored by Swansea University staff can be uploaded into RIS and this feeds the following services:
- Cronfa, the university's public repository
- The "Publications" section of Staff web pages
- The research staff PDR process in ABW
- The university's REF submissions
- Central reporting and the annual list of research publications
Feedback on RIS is welcome and any comments or suggestions should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
RIS can be accessed through staff home.swan at https://home.swan.ac.uk. This service is only available to Swansea University staff. RIS is accessible to all Swansea University staff through their campus login.
RIS Content and Collection Policy
RIS Content and Collection Policy
RIS will contain any material that relates to research output, including:
- journal articles
- conference and workshop papers
- PhD theses
- unpublished reports and working papers
- books, chapters and sections
- data sets
- audio recordings
Metadata is the information describing items i.e. catalogue information about an item.
Staff across the university will be able to access metadata held in RIS that is not marked private. The metadata for published research and selected other items will also be made publicly available through Cronfa, the University's Open Access Repository. This will allow open access to full-text items (when available) and metadata online.
The metadata may be re-used in any medium without prior permission for not-for-profit purposes.
The metadata must not be re-used in any medium for commercial purposes without written permission.
Enquiries for permission should go to email@example.com
Data includes full-text and other full data items in RIS.
Copies of full items generally can be reproduced, displayed or performed for personal research or study, education, or not-for-profit purposes without prior permission or charge, provided:
(i) the item’s details are given a hyperlink and/or URL for the original metadata page, and (ii) the content is not changed in any way Full items must not be used or sold commercially in any format or medium without the written permission of the copyright holders. Enquiries for permission should go to firstname.lastname@example.org
The repository and items contained within it will be retained and made available at the discretion of Swansea University. Items may be migrated to new file formats where necessary.