The congregation of St. David’s Priory commemorated those who died during the war. They regularly held mass for the safe return of congregation members on the front, and sung requiem for the soldiers and sailors who had died:
‘pray for our soldiers and sailors that God may give us a speedy victory and lasting peace.’
16 December 1917
The congregation even organised the construction of two memorial windows for those who had lost their lives. The Reverend Canon Gwydir, a manager of St. David’s School, was particularly commemorated after he drowned on the hospital ship, Rohilla, in 1914. As a beloved member of the clergy, he was noted for his selflessness and heroic actions, and a memorial was erected by the St. David’s congregation in his honour. The memorial service was conducted by the Archbishop of Wales himself, and masses were held in remembrance of his brave conduct.
Photograph of window of the Sacred Heart of Christ with St Patrick and St Peter, St David's Priory, from Martin Crampin (ed.), Stained Glass in Wales Catalogue, University of Wales Centre for Advanced Welsh and Celtic Studies, Aberystwyth, 2011.
http://stainedglass.llgc.org.uk/object/1478 (accessed 9 June 2014)