Education and Research
These pages are will gather the history of the development of computing across Swansea University - formerly the University College of Swansea and the University of Wales Swansea.
We welcome all contributions within these pages. Please help us.
The Computer Centre
From the Computer Centre to Library and Information Services to Information Services and Systems there has always been a group of staff responsible for core network and systems infrastructure across the University.
The Computer Centre showing the ICL 1904 and staff.
From a History of the Mathematics Department, University of Wales Swansea: History of Swansea University Maths to 2000
In July 1962 the Applied Mathematics Department established a computation laboratory with a newly appointed Lecturer in charge. From the Minutes of Council meetings 1962–63, p. 22–23:
During the first year of operation of a computing service, the IBM 1620 computer and ancillary equipment have been used for research and teaching by members of eleven departments in the College and by five industrial firms; they have also been used from time to time to make statistical calculations connected with College administration.
The computer was made available, for short experimental runs of their ownprogrammes, to participants in the July17 conference on Modern Mathematics arranged for teachers of mathematics in schools.
An introductory course of lectures for non-mathematicians, on programming for a computer, has been given during the session by Mr. Gurr, and a similar course will commence in October, 1963. All members of the College are welcome at these lectures.