In co-operation with the College of Law and Criminology, English Language Training Services (ELTS) has developed two full-time, pre-sessional courses for undergraduate and postgraduate students intending to start a Law/LL.M programme in the autumn term. Both courses give prospective Law and LLM students opportunity to improve their understanding of English legal terminology and academic study skills.
The courses are designed for you if:
- you need to develop your academic skills, understanding of English legal terminology and academic English language ability as a condition of entry to the College of Law and Criminology at Swansea University.
- you have already met the university’s English language conditions but would like experience of UK academic study and expectations in order to be as well prepared as possible before stating your academic programme in law at the university.
The summer Law Pre-sessionals are intensive 10 and 6 week courses which will build your confidence and enable you to begin your Law/LLM undergraduate or postgraduate programme with a good understanding of the expectations of academic study in a UK university. The course will help you to develop the following:
- Language Skills for Legal Studies
- Integrated Academic Skills (Academic Reading and Writing)
- Academic Lecture Programme
- Listening and Note-taking Skills for Academic Lectures
- Presentation and Academic Speaking Skills for Presentations, Seminars and Tutorials
- Using Academic Sources and Referencing Skills
- Critical Thinking
- Individual Project Related To Your Academic Course
Each week includes 18 hours of organised tuition plus a individual tutorial at least one every two weeks. In addition, you will be required to carry out a programme of self-study and complete a number of individual assignments. The maximum class size is 18.
Please note that you will be required to buy a course book which will cost no more than £35.00.
During the course you will build a portfolio of coursework which will be used as part of your final assessment. Each Summer General Pre-sessional student has a personal tutor who will meet you regularly to help you to develop individual targets to help you achieve your academic goals and to write your individual project.
The Summer Law Pre-sessionals give you everything you need to maximise your confidence and improve your skills before you begin your Law degree at the start of the academic year.
You will be assessed using a combination of
- a portfolio of the work you do during your course (70%)
- an end of course exam (30%).
The portfolio provides detailed evidence of your language level and skills, your academic skills and whether you are ready to begin academic study at a UK university.
N.B. Attendance on the above programme does not guarantee progression onto your degree programme. If you have a conditional offer based on your level of English, you will have to achieve the required standard through the programme assessment and examination.