Professional attitudes and a business focus from the start
Students at Swansea are encouraged to adopt a professional attitude, become business focused and treat the course as a dry run of the first year of their training contract.
The professional tutors adopt the roles of supervising partners within the firm of Caswell Clyne set up by the course team. Preparation for practice takes place within a supportive but professional environment with a key emphasis on the development of business awareness and transferable skills.
What you will gain on this course
Students successfully completing the Swansea Legal Practice Course will be able, under appropriate supervision, to:
- Identify client objectives and be commercially aware of different means of achieving those objectives
- Consider the financial, commercial and personal priorities and constraints to be taken into account
- Assess the costs, benefits and risks involved in transactions or courses of action
- Research and apply knowledge of the law and legal practice accurately and effectively to meet client objectives
- Advance transactions in the best interests of a client and ensure repeat business
- Comply with the rules of professional conduct and regulation
- Demonstrate knowledge, understanding and skills in the core practice areas of Business Law and Practice, Property Law and Practice, Litigation and the areas of Wills and Administration of Estates and Taxation and in their three vocational electives
- And the course skills of Practical Legal Research, Writing, Drafting, Interviewing and Advising, and Advocacy, and
- Identify their professional learning needs for future development