College celebrates a decade of the LPC
The College celebrated a decade of running the Legal Practice Course and the Graduate Diploma in Law with a seminar and reception for past and present students and lawyers from across the region.
Practising lawyers gave employability talks and workshops and former students spoke about how the course had helped them in their career.
Pro Vice Chancellor Prof Iwan Davies, hosted the reception.
Michael Draper (left), Director of the LPC, said: “The event was an informative annual networking event bringing together experienced practitioners and senior law academics to develop key practice and employment skills for the benefit of prospective students."
Organisations represented at the event included:
• Beor Wilson & Lloyd Solicitors
• Benson Watkins
• DJM Solicitors
• JCP Solicitors
• Law Society
• Morgan La Roche
• Public Defender Service
• Smith Llewelyn Solicitors
• Swansea University Legal Services
Success in institutional review
A panel of internal and external experts met with students and professional staff on the Swansea LPC course for its latest periodic Institutional Review.
The review panel confirmed the programme met the standards expected of the Solicitors Regulation Authority and had no specific recommendations to improve it. Practices developed by the programme director and teaching team that were specifically commended included:
- The enthusiasm of staff for their subjects
- Pastoral care for students
- The provision of formative assessments and mock examinations and detailed feedback
- The very strong practical experience and links with the professional body, Law Society, policy bodies and local practitioners
- The use of Lexis Nexis to keep the curriculum and relevant forms up to date, and
- The commitment to supporting student employability through guest speakers, informal contacts with local solicitors, the promotion of work experience and support from the University’s Legal department.