Research & Student Experience activities in the field of Intellectual Property
A constituent member of the Institute of International Shipping and Trade Law, a major strand of our work is to critically reflect upon the phenomenon of IP as a mechanism for promoting economic development.
- Interim Report Patent Prospecting on the Alternative Investment Market (AIM) (2014)
- Report prepared for the Welsh Assembly on IP Infringement & Enforcement Issues (2011)
- Report Prepared for the Welsh Assembly Government on IP Crime & E Crime (2009)
- Study of Intellectual Property in UK HEIs with emphasis on Wales (2005)
- Financing of Welsh SMEs & The Commodification of IP Rights (2004)
- Intellectual Property & Legal Expense Insurance (2003)
Articles & Chapter Headings
- A. Beale, S. Ratcliffe, A. Tettenborn, The Protection of Data in our Digital Age (2017) Journal of Business Law, Volume 6, 2017 p. 461
- A. Beale “IP as a Tool for Economic Development”, (2011) World Trade Organization.
- I. Davies “Technology-based small firms and the commodification of intellectual property rights” in The Reform of UK Personal Property Law (ed de Lacy)(2010) 308-327.
- A. Beale and D. Blackaby and L. Mainwaring “University Patenting in Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland: a Comparative Analysis”, (2008) Volume 62 Higher Education Quarterly 101-119.
- I. Davies "Secured Financing of Intellectual Property Assets", (2006) 3 Oxford Journal of Legal Studies 559-584.
- J. Allan and A. Beale, "Patent & Trade Mark Statistics for Wales", (2005) Volume 4 Issue 1 Wales Journal of Law and Policy 122–127.
- I. Davies “Patent Activity and the Development of a Knowledge-Driven Economy: Reflections from Wales”, (2004) Voume 3 Issue 1 Wales Journal of Law and Policy 34– 45.
- K. Beynon “Legal Expense Insurance for Intellectual Property Research: Results and Discussion” (2002) Volume 2 Issue 3 Wales Journal of Law and Policy 296 – 322.
- K. Beynon, N. Moore “Legal Expense Insurance and Intellectual Property: Theory” (2002) Volume 2 Issue 2 Wales Journal of Law and Policy 200 -217.
- A. Beale and A. George, "IP Wales: A Web Based Project", (2001) Volume 1 Issue 4 Wales Journal of Law and Policy 423 – 453.
- A. Beale, M. Clement, I. Davies "Intellectual Property Activity in Wales: A Report on the Support for Innovative SMEs Project" (2001) Volume 1 Issue 3 Wales Journal of Law and Policy 256-263.
- L. Fisher, G. Fowler, M.Lindsey “Design Rights: Novum (Overseas) Limited v Iceland Foods Plc & Austria Haustechnik A.G. Volume 1 Issue 3 Wales Journal of Law and Policy (Case Notes).
Papers & Presentations
- Cybersecurity & the SME" (2016) Mark Monitor - A Beale
- IP: How to get the most value from your IP, 2013 - A.Beale
- Software Alliance Wales: Knowledge is Power, 2010 – A.Beale
- World Trade Organization/World Intellectual Property Organization: Colloquium for Teachers of IP (2010) - A. Beale
- IP Crime Tactical Group (City of London Police): (2010) – A. Beale
- University of Winchester: Opening of the Trevor Baylis Resource Centre, 2010 – A.Beale
- World Intellectual Property Organization: ‘Forum on Intellectual Property & SMEs for IP Offices of OECD & EU Enlargement Countries' Geneva, 2009 – A. Beale
- European Commission: ‘Sub-Regional Conference on Intellectual Property and the Competitiveness of Small and Medium – sized Enterprises (SMEs) in the Agro-Foods Sector in Latin America’ Guadalajara & Veracruz, 2009 – A. Beale
- World Intellectual Property Organization: 'League of Arab States Regional Training Program on Intellectual Property and Management of Innovation by Micro, Small and Medium Sized Enterprises’ Cairo, 2009 – A. Beale
- BRASS (Cardiff University): “How good is Wales at commercialising intellectual property and research in its colleges and universities?” 2009 – A. Beale
- World Intellectual Property Organization: 'Forum on Intellectual Property & SMEs for IP Offices of OECD & EU Enlargement Countries' Cardiff, 2008 – A. Beale (Co-organizer)
- World Intellectual Property Organization: 'Forum on Intellectual Property & SMEs for IP Offices of OECD & EU Enlargement Countries' Geneva, 2007 – A. Beale
- European Commission: 'Innovating through EU Regional Policy' Brussels, 2006 – A.Beale
- World Intellectual Property Organization: 'Forum on Intellectual Property & SMEs for IP Offices of OECD & EU Enlargement Countries' The Hague, 2006 – A. Beale, Dr. G. Davies
- IP Australia: (2005) – A. Beale
- Ministry of Economic Development, New Zealand: (2005) – A.Beale
- World Intellectual Property Organization – World Association of Small and Medium Enterprises: 'Forum on Practical IP Issues for SME Support and Financial Institutions, including Technology/Business Incubators' Geneva, (2005) – A. Beale
- Enterprise Ireland: (2004) A.Beale, Sir J. Cadogan, I. Davies, W. Sinnott
- WIPO: 'Forum on Intellectual Property & SMEs for IP Offices of OECD & EU Enlargement Countries' Alicante, 2004 – A.Beale, G.Williams
- University of Swansea: L. Mainwaring, N. Moore “Intellectual Property in the Welsh Production Sector”, (2004) Economics Discussion Paper 04-01.
- European Patent Office: 'PATLIB: Investing in the Future' Liege, (2003) – A. Beale
- University of Swansea: L. Mainwaring, N. Moore “Patent Holdings of Production Firms”, (2003) Economics Discussion Paper 03-09.
- European Commission: 'PATINNOVA: Sixth European Congress on Patents – Patents in the digital era & Patents serving entrepreneurship' Cardiff, (2001) – A.Beale
IP Wales Lectures
IP Wales Prize
This £500 student prize is awarded to the best performance on the Swansea University LLM module Law of Intellectual Assets Management & Transactions
2018 -Florin Popa
2017- Hélène Reiminger
2016- Ojonoka Agudah
2015- Sohelia Nemati-Pirali
2014- Adetifa Adenike
2013- Lowri Davies
2012- Vanessa Warrlich
IP Skills Student Work Placement Programme
This programme is open to all students studying on our Law of Intellectual Assets Management and Transactions module who are also in the window of opportunity for a distinction grade after Part I of their LLM Examinations.
2013- George Williams