Enjoying Your Year Abroad

There’s plenty of support from the team here at Swansea for your year abroad.  We work closely with partner universities if you choose to study in your chosen country, and there is additional support from the British Council if you apply for a work placement. We pride ourselves on the pastoral care which we offer to our students during their period of study at Swansea and during the year abroad. The year abroad offers many challenges and rewards: you become fluent in your chosen language and you gain valuable experiences to enhance your employability.   The University's International Development Office has further information on Year Abroad and other study abroad opportunities.

Year Abroad Options


There are a number of options for your third year of study in France: 1) You can work as an assistant(e), teaching English in a French school, 2) You can find an approved work placement, or 3) You can study at one of our partner universities: Angers, Artois, Toulouse, Brest, Chambéry, Franche-Comté, Lyon III, Pau.

YA French


Students spend the third year of their degree in Germany, taking one of the following options: 1) You can work as an assistant, teaching English in a German school, 2) You can find an approved work placement, or 3) You can study at one of our partner universities: Augsburg, Bamberg, Mannheim, Regensburg, Wurzburg, Reutlingen and Klagenfurt.

YA German


The third year of study is spent in Italy, though students studying two languages may choose to spend the year in a country where their other language is spoken. You have three choices: 1) You can attend one of the Italian universities with which we have flourishing exchanges: Bergamo, Bologna, and Siena; 2) Alternatively, you can apply to teach English in an Italian state school or 3) You can take up paid employment of your own choosing (although we must approve this before you accept it).  

Watch the video Choose Italian to see what students say about their experience!

YA Italian




You can spend your third year of studying Spanish in one of three ways: 1) At one of our partner universities in Spain - Deusto (Bilbao), León, Zaragoza, Barcelona or Murcia; 2) Working as an English-language assistant in Spain or Latin America through the British Council assistantship programme or; 3) On a work placement, subject to approval.  

YA Spanish

Study trip to Berlin