Find out more here:
Am I eligible for this scholarship?
- You must be a UK or EU student and be eligible for Home/EU Fees. For further advice regarding fees click here.
- You must live in the ESF Programme Region “West Wales and the Valleys” or an adjacent region throughout your period of study.
- The West Wales and the Valleys Region comprises 15 Local Authorities:
- the Isle of Anglesey, Conwy, Denbighshire, Gwynedd, Ceredigion, Pembrokeshire, Carmarthenshire, Swansea, Neath Port Talbot, Bridgend, Rhondda Cynon Taff, Merthyr Tydfil, Blaenau Gwent, Caerphilly and Torfaen.
- You must be entitled to work in the West Wales and the Valleys region after your studies.
How is the scholarship funded?
The scholarship is part-funded by the Welsh Government through the European Social Fund.
What maintenance bursary payments do I receive?
The yearly maintenance bursary for 2017-18 is £14,198 (for PhD) and £11,472 (for Research Masters). It is paid by BACS payment in monthly instalments in arrears.
Will I receive any other allowances?
Yes, per year you will have the following for expenses directly related to your project:
|Travel (to your company/conferences)||£500|
Student Support Costs
What is the Postgraduate Skills Development Award?
Alongside your studies you will need to complete 40 (Research Masters) or 60 (PhD) credits worth of training related to your project and your professional development and will be awarded with a KESS II Postgraduate Skills Development Award certificate. You will also need to attend a compulsory Residential Course called “KESS Gradschool”. You may also have the opportunity to attend a Gradschool overseas. This is an excellent chance to enhance your CV and gain further skills to increase your employability.
What else is required of me during my scholarship?
- Have regular meetings with your academic and company supervisors
- Complete Quarterly progress reports
- Complete monthly timesheets
- Keep a PSDA training log
- Prepare a report for your company on completion
- Submit your thesis within 3 months (Research Masters) and 6 months (PhD) of the end of your studentship.
- Complete leavers and follow up forms at the end of your studentship