General information about inviting friends and/or family to visit you in the UK

Find out more about inviting your friends and family for a short visit to the UK from

You can use this letter as a template in order to draft your own letter when inviting your friends/family for a short holiday or to attend your graduation ceremony. To find out about getting tickets for your family to attend graduation, see the information on the University Graduation website.

The University does not issue invitation letters. However you can request a Student Statement from Academic Registry confirming you are a student at the University which you can forward (hard copy/original) to your friends and family for their visa application.

Visitors who are EEA (European Economic Area) nationals do not require leave to enter the UK, so no visa restrictions apply. You can find out which country is in the EEA by visiting the UKCISA website.

To find out if your friend or family needs a visa to enter the UK, please visit the UK Visas and Immigration website.

To find a UK Embassy overseas, please see the Foreign and Commonwealth Office website.

If you want your family members to stay with you during the course of your study, they may be able to apply to come to the UK as your Dependants. Further details can be found from our website.