Make the most of your time abroad!
A recent survey by i-Graduate, an independent research organisation, showed ‘around 60% of the country’s top employers indicate that experience of international study enhances employability’.
"What global companies look for are people who we think can take a global perspective. Students are well placed to do this if they have taken opportunities to widen their cultural perspective. The people that succeed can work in multi-disciplinary, multi-cultural and multi-locational teams. If students have demonstrated they can work with other cultural and teams, that’s a big plus for us as we need students to be intellectually curious and culturally agile if they are going to work in a global context.” Sonja Stockton, Director, Talent, PricewaterhouseCoopers
-The Global Skills Gap, Think Global and British Council, December 2011
What is employability?
“ a set of attributes, skills and knowledge that all ….participants should possess to ensure they have the capability of being effective in the work place – to the benefit of themselves, their employer and the wider community “ - CBI 2009
Use your experiences abroad to boost your profile:
- your self-confidence and ability to be flexible and adaptable will have increased
- you may have had to resolve a number of problems and become more independent
- take advantage of every opportunity and get involved in voluntary and extracurricular activities
- learn / practice a language
- develop international professional and academic networks
- be an ambassador : make presentations (about Swansea, Wales, UK etc) write a blog! (contact email@example.com to become an official Swansea University blogger!