**Applications for the Zambia summer programme for 2013 are now closed**
This is a fantastic opportunity where you can learn about real life in Africa!
Challenge yourself and your perceptions.
The summer programme to Zambia involves working with local volunteers in Zambia and exchanging cultures.
Activities on the trip include:
- Sharing global issues and cultural exchange activities with local volunteers.
- Working with local volunteers to empower local village women. This involves planning and delivering workshops based on either livelihoods, the environment, education, health and social harmony.
- Sensitising communities towards disability and visiting St Malumba special needs school to help out.
- Volunteering in a local orphanage and exchanging games.
- Be able to share your skills and knowledge with those who are less fortunate than you.
- Exploring the local area including Livingstone and Victoria Falls.
The programme is an excellent opportunity to help society, develop your team work skills, challenge yourself whilst building your self confidence and make a great new group of friends.
Swansea - Siavonga Partnership: The trip is part of the Swansea- Siavonga Partnership, a not for profit partnership between two charitable organisations, Discovery Student Volunteering in Swansea and the Siavonga Nutrition Group based in Siavonga, Zambia which aims to:
- Build relationships across different cultures
- Maximise income generation through sharing experiences and learning
- Supporting the education of children
- Making the best use of the environment
- Improving health through nutrition
There will be opportunities to fundraise towards the cost of the trip, cost includes flights and in country travel, accommodation and insurance (note the cost does not include food, vaccinations and travel to UK airport). Accommodation is in a self-catered lodge with views over Lake Kariba and a 5 minute walk from Siavonga market. There is option to cook food communally or by yourself. Local cuisine is also available to try.
IDO Bursaries**: A maximum of £500 per student is available, however you will not be able to apply for more than half the total cost of your chosen summer programme. Additional financial assistance of up to £200 will be available to students who qualify for widening participation bursaries.
Dates: One month, exact dates TBC
Eligibility: Most programmes are open to level 1 & 2 and PG students in good standing. Unfortunately level 3 students are not eligible to apply.
How to Apply: Zambia Discovery Application Form please return to firstname.lastname@example.org ASAP.
For more information: Please contact Cristine Watson (email@example.com), Meg Pickard (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Gareth Taylor (email@example.com).
*Subject to exchange rate fluctuations, cost will be confirmed March 2013