China Visa Information

Chinese Visa Requirements

If you wish to enter Hong Kong for education and you do not have the right of abode or right to land in Hong Kong, you MUST obtain a student visa from the Immigration Department (of the Government of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region) BEFORE coming to Hong Kong.

Application Procedure - To apply for such a visa, you should complete the application form ID995A "Application for Entry for Study in Hong Kong" in BLOCK (CAPITAL) LETTERS with:

  • your photograph affixed on it.
  • photocopies of your Passport containing your personal particulars.
  • evidence of your financial standing, e.g. bank statements, savings account passbooks, scholarship letters, etc. Your Passport should be valid for at least six months beyond the intended stay in Hong Kong.

The completed application form should be submitted with your application form for your host institution. Do NOT submit your visa application directly to the Hong Kong Immigration Department as that will slow down the process. As your sponsor, your host will complete form ID995B "Application for Entry for Study (Sponsor)". The whole set of documents will then be submitted to the Hong Kong Immigration Department on your behalf. It normally takes six weeks for the Immigration Department to process a visa application. If your application is successful, a student visa will be issued to you.

When you receive the visa, please attach it to a blank page in your Passport. Be sure that the immigration officer sees the visa and enters you into Hong Kong on the student status. Otherwise, the officer may issue you a tourist visa which will not allow you to begin studies in Hong Kong. Do draw attention to the visa; sometimes the immigration officer might overlook it.

Conditions for a Person holding Student Visa Status - It is clearly stipulated by the Immigration Department that any person entering Hong Kong as a student shall be subject to the following conditions of stay that:

  • tudent only at a specified school, university or other educational institution and undertake such course of study as may be approved by the Director of Immigration.
  • he/she shall not take any employment, whether paid or unpaid.
  • he/she shall not establish or join in any business. 

Useful Link/Information - The Immigration Department

Please note that the cost of a student visa and medical insurance can vary depending on host institution. 
As part of the application process, your host institution will provide you with information about any visa requirements. International students can also seek further advice from Swansea University's International Student Advisory Service (ISAS).