Canada Visa Information

In Canada, a Study Permit is necessary for any non-resident person studying for a period longer than six months. Even if you plan on studying in Canada for less than six months, you may want to apply for a Study Permit in case you decide to extend your studies at a later date or would like to look for an on campus job. This is especially useful for short term exchange students.

Please note that the cost of a student visa and medical insurance can vary depending on host institution.          

As part of the application process, your host institution will provide you with information about any visa requirements. International students can also seek further advice from Swansea University's International Student Advisory Service (ISAS).

If you are just studying abroad for a semester then you will need and Electronic Travel Authorisation or eTA, you are exempt if you have a study permit as the eTA is included with this.

An idea of visa costs can be seen below: 

Cost of study permit = $150 (£72)

Cost of medical insurance = approx $300 (£170)

Financial proof for visa application outside Quebec = $833 (£472)

Financial proof for visa application Quebec = $917 (£519)

Please note that the above costs are correct as of 2016/17 and should be used as a guide only, an estimated increase of 5-10% should be anticipated for 2017/18. 

The following documents are required for your study permit application:

  • Proof of acceptance
  • Fee payment
  • Proof of Identity
  • Proof of Financial Support
  • 2 photos meeting specifications
  • Certificat d'acceptation du Québec (CAQ)- Only for those studying in Quebec
  • Letter of Explanation ( you will need this if you are applying for a study permit even though you don’t need one)

Information on applying for a study permit can be found here: