Extending your visa through International@CampusLife

The International@CampusLife Student Advisers can help by advising you on how to apply, what documents you need, help you to complete the online application and send your documents to UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI). International@CampusLife can also help your family members who are applying with you as Tier 4 Dependants.

You can find out more by clicking on the links on the right hand side of this page.

ISAS extending visa + passport

 What do I need to do?

  1. Start preparations to extend your visa 2 months before your visa expires. Start by reading Tier 4 - Visa Extension in the UK Leaflet which includes information about what you need to do, what documents you need, where to get your CAS and details about your money
  2. Ensure you have enough money in your bank account (see our video guides)
  3. Apply for ATAS certificate (if applicable)
  4. Get your CAS (you may have to pay a deposit beforehand)
  5. Gather all the other documents you need
  6. Decide whether to apply by post or premium service
  7. Make an appointment to see an Adviser BEFORE your visa expires with your incomplete online application, ALL your documents plus your bank debit/credit card to make your payment online

How can I apply?

There are two services available. Both services require the applicant to complete an online application from the UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) website. The main differences are:




Cost per applicant (and dependant)



Immigration Health Surcharge Cost

 £150 for each year of your visa              

£150 for each year of your visa

Cost of biometrics

£19.20 (payable to Post Office)

Included in the main cost

How long does it take

Around 6 – 8 weeks

2 weeks from date of appointment

Where do I take my biometrics?

Specific Post Office

(Port Talbot or Cardiff)

Cardiff Public Enquiry Office (PEO)

Do I need to attend an interview?

Not usually

Not usually. The caseworkers may contact International@ CampusLife if they have further enquiries.

Will International@CampusLife post my documents for me?


International@CampusLife will check your documents. You should bring your documents to Cardiff when attending your biometrics appointment


What happens next:

  • International@CampusLife will post your documents to UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) for the Postal option. You will need to bring your own documents yourself to Cardiff if using the Premium option.
  • You must attend your biometrics appointment in Port Talbot or Cardiff. If applying by post, UKVI will post your biometrics letter to International@CampusLife around 3 weeks after you apply. International@CampusLife/ICWS will email you to collect your biometrics letter from International@CampusLife/ICWS. If applying by Premium service, the appointment at Cardiff Public Enquiry Office (PEO) is booked when you make your payment online.
  • All your documents for both the postal and premium service will be returned to International@CampusLife. International@CampusLife/ICWS will email you to collect your documents and Biometric Residence Permit Card (BRPC or visa card) from International@CampusLife/ICWS.

What is a Biometric Residence Permit Card (BRPC)?

BRPC 140 x 83

If you apply to extend your Tier 4 visa in the UK, your visa will be granted in the form of a card (BRPC) as shown, separate from your passport. It will not be a sticker in your passport. Find out more about giving your biometrics at a Post Office or what you should do if you lose your BRPC.

Further information


What is ATAS?

ATAS is a certificate issued by the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO), which gives you security clearance to study certain subject areas (e.g. certain science subjects, mathematics, engineering, technology or medicine). ATAS is required for some Masters or doctorate level courses. The University Admissions Office or Academic Registry can confirm whether you require ATAS.

You can also find out more about ATAS from the UKCISA website or our International@CampusLife video.

How do I apply for it?

You must first get a synopsis (summary) of your research proposal from either Admissions or Registry. Then apply for ATAS online at https://www.gov.uk/academic-technology-approval-scheme

How long does it take to get ATAS?

It can take a minimum of 4 weeks or longer. Make an appointment to discuss your options with one of the International Student Advisers if you don't think you will receive your ATAS before your visa expires.

Time limit on studies

In April 2012, the Home Office introduced a maximum time limit for international students who are studying at undergraduate and Masters level in the UK. In most cases, the time limit is 5 years for combined undergraduate and Masters level studies, but there are some exceptions to this rule. Your visa application may be refused if the total time you will spend on your studies exceeds this limit.

Find out more about time limit (caps)...

To help the university assess your eligibility for further studies in the UK please download and complete the Previous Study Questionnaire 2018  and send it back to the relevant office below:

If you are applying to start a degree course at Swansea University

By Email: admissions-enquiries@swansea.ac.uk or send it by post to the following address:

Admissions Office,
Swansea University,
Singleton Park,
Swansea SA2 8PP

If you are already on a degree course at Swansea University

By Email: myunihub@swansea.ac.uk

If you are applying to study or you are already studying English language

By Email: elts@swansea.ac.uk or send it by post to the following address

English Language Training Services
Swansea University
Emily Phipps Building
Hendrefoelan Student Village

What else do I need to know?

Change of circumstances

  • If some of your circumstances change later on, you should inform both the UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) and University Student Records
  • Changes you will need to report include changes to your address (you should update your police registration certificate separately), personal details and dependants details
  • You can download the Migrant Change of Circumstance form from the UKVI website. You will need to post the form to the UKVI. There is no charge for this.


Tier 4 responsibilities

To find out more about the University's and student's responsibilities under Tier 4 click on  Tier 4 Duties & Responsibilities