Embrace a new culture

The College of Human and Health Sciences offers Psychology students the opportunity to study for a year aboard with our Partner Institutions.  Previous students have studied in Australia, Canada, Germany, Hong Kong, Ireland , Netherlands, New Zealand, Poland, and the USA!

Studying abroad can be a rewarding experience, giving you the opportunity to embrace a new culture, make new friends and become immersed in a country you may not have visited before.  As well as the amazing experience you’ll have when you’re on your placement, it can also improve your employment prospects. 

Don’t just take our word for it!  Find out from other students who have studied aboard in our blog  and you can also discover all of the global opportunities available to Swansea University students in our interactive map. 

Frequently asked Questions

Where can I study?

The College has several partnerships with Universities worldwide.

In addition to our College Partnerships, there are also University Wide Partners that you may be able to study with.  

How much will it cost?

There will be personal costs for studying abroad such as accommodation and travel plus the costs of living are different to those in Wales. However there is financial support to limit the impact of these costs.

Students who participate in the programme will receive funding.  If it is with one of our Erasmus+ Partners, you can apply for Erasmus Funding, which will contribute to the cost of living whilst overseas.  For Partnerships outside of the Erasmus+ area, University funding can be applied for.  Full details about funding can be found on the Go Global website 

As this programme is a year abroad, you will only pay 15% of your usual tuition fees to Swansea for that year.

Will I need to speak a foreign language?

Most of our partners countries speak adequate English. For students who cannot speak the language of the host countries, there may be opportunities to follow a basic language course during the exchange programme (subject to availability). Most of the countries welcome students who may not be proficient in their language. However, for some clinical experience, such as mental health nursing and paediatric nursing, the host institutions may stipulate that students are able to converse in the language of the host countries.

How do I prepare for my time abroad?

There are many things you need to take into account when Studying Abroad.  Click here to find out more about Health and Safety while overseas.

How do I find out more about Erasmus+?

If you would like to find out more about Erasmus+, click here to visit our FAQ’s

Will I be provided with accommodation?

You will need to arrange accommodation yourself and cover the costs will the financial support mentioned. The host country will normally offer university accommodation that you can apply for online once your application is accepted. There is a usually a range of options and most students accept this offer.

What support does the College offer?

You will receive ongoing support with your application and while on your visit from the Internationalisation team with the College. The International Development Officer will also provide support with a Go Global Coordinator. You will also have a named representative in the host country who will oversee your visit. In addition to this and when feasible, it is also possible for a lecturer from Swansea to travel to your host country to provide support.

How do I apply?

To apply for the Year Abroad Opportunity, please register your interest online.  If you have any questions about the application procedure, please contact CHHSmarketing@swansea.ac.uk

To register your interest visit