Achieve Through Work Experience Programme
The Achieve Through Work Experience Programme is a European Social Fund initiative to create work experience opportunities for students on higher education courses in Wales who:
Are under 25 years old, in full-time education, may face barriers to gaining work experience and can say yes to at least one of the following:
- I have a disability or work limiting health condition
- I'm from a Black and Minority Ethnic background
- I have caring or child-care responsibilities
- I am in care or a care leaver
- I'm from a low higher education participation neighbourhood.
GO Wales works with all kinds of employers in Wales to create tailored, flexible work experience opportunities designed to fit around students' other commitments. The Programme sources:
- Work shadowing: Up to three days of unpaid work experience where the student observes someone in their role to understand how they do their job.
- Work tasters: Up to four weeks of unpaid work experience where the student has the opportunity to learn about work and the working environment by observing and undertaking some tasks.
- Work placements: Four to six weeks of paid work experience getting hands-on experience or working on a project.
Students who take part in the Programme receive the support of an adviser to help with decisions about what kind of work experience would work best for them, help to prepare for it, learn from it and decide on their next steps. This will improve students' chances of securing sustainable employment, further training or education on completion of their course. Help with travel costs and other costs may be available so that doing work experience is an affordable option.
Benefits for employers:
- If you take part in the Programme you will be supporting a student to improve their work related skills while demonstrating your corporate social responsibility and willingness to help to create a fairer society. You will have the opportunity to talent-spot, and your organisation may benefit from new ideas. Depending on the type of work experience you host you may have the opportunity to have a project completed.
- Paid work placements are subsidised where appropriate.
So if you can provide an informal insight into a role or can provide a student with some practical experience we'd like to hear from you. Visit www.gowales.co.uk or email email@example.com to find out more.