Swansea University has an award-winning Mosque on campus which is an integral part of life for most Muslim students on campus. We have all of the facilities of a modern, well-equipped mosque including:
- a separate prayer and washing facilities for men and women
- a meeting room
- a dedicated Islamic library
Our campus Mosque is a great way to enable students to mix with and befriend people from all over the world. It is this diversity that makes it such a unique and interesting place to be. The atmosphere of the mosque is also a suitable area for study for both overseas and home students.
Mr Mohsen El-Beltagi is the resident imam at Swansea University’s Mosque. He is Originally from Egypt. He gained his BA and MA in Hadith Sciences at Al-Azhar University, Cairo and is currently researching for his PhD.
Now settled in Swansea, Sheikh Mohsen is more than your ordinary imam. Not only does he lead the prayers and conduct the Friday gathering. He was appointed as Muslim Student Advisor to the Swansea University in 2010 under the Student Support Service Department. He also teaches Arabic language in the University through the medium of Arabic and English.
More than that though, he is also someone who people can turn to for advice about any issue affecting their lives; so if you have any difficulties or seeking religious advice , please do not hesitate to get in touch with him.
Location: on the East side of the Library and Information Centre
Mosque Policies (PDF download)
- Objectives and Powers 1.1
- Descriptions of Management Committee Members 1.1
- Financial Governance 1.1
- Feedback Procedures 1.1.
- Fundraising Request Form
- Mosque volunteer-policies 1.1
- Mosque Managing Volunteers - 1.1
- Application form voluntary 1.1
- Publications Policy 1.1
- Media Relations1.1
* Please note that all Friday Collections have been allocated until the end of July 2014
Activities organised by the Mosque and the Swansea University Islamic Society include -
- Jumu'ah Khutbah (Friday Sermons) - a focal point for the Muslim student's week
- Weekly Study Circles, in English and Arabic
- Courses designed to teach Arabic, as well as regular Qur'anic Studies delivered by our own Imam and well known Sheiks from Cardiff and around UK
- Regular sporting and social activities for both brothers and sisters
- Regular weekend Qur'anic classes for students with children as well as Arabic classes for both Arabic and non-Arabic speakers
- Monthly lectures and trips to various lectures and conferences outside of Swansea, as well as social trips to attractions across Wales
- In the fasting month of Ramadhaan the Islamic Society organises iftaar (light food to open the fast) and tarawih (night prayers) throughout the month
- A permanent Imam /Sheikh from Egypt to lead the night prayers and lead the five daily prayers and other services for our members
- The society also organises Eid Prayers on both Eid-ul-Fitr and Eid-ul-Adha. Different activities are organised for the celebration of the Eids
- There is access via the Islamic Society to resident Islamic scholars for advice, counselling and guidance
- Every year we organise Islamic Awareness week on Campus and all our events are open to all students and well as the general public
Swansea University Islamic Society
The Islamic Society is the Muslim Students' representative body within the University
- Representing the Interests of Muslim students by protecting and promoting their interests within and outside the campus
- Creating an educational environment as well as a family environment for students
- Uniting all students regardless of their religion/background so as to promote tolerance and peaceful coexistence
- Being at the forefront of students' lives and encouraging local dialogue and community cohesion academically, intellectually and socially
Assalamualaikam wrwb – Peace be upon you!!!!!!Welcome to Swansea University Mosque We hope you have a wonderful time with us Inshallah