Welcome to your new post at Swansea University!
Induction is a process of familiarisation with the University, its culture, structure, norms and how it functions. An effective induction programme can determine how quickly new staff settle into the organisation and the speed at which they develop to reach their full potential. It is an integral component of a successful and long-term relationship between the University and our new employees. In order to help staff settle in quickly and successfully to their new job, the University has developed the Induction of New Employees Policy .
An important part of this process is the local College / Department induction, during which the:
should be completed and then returned to Development & Training Services within your first week:- email@example.com
At a local level induction will provide new staff with an understanding of:
- their own role
- expectations and standards
- the role of their team
- support available to help them carry out their duties effectively
- team / College /Departmental key objectives
- standard operating procedures and safe working practices
In addition to your local induction, all staff are expected to attend a University Induction Seminar, and the VC's Welcome Event. Meeting other new starters at the University Induction and hearing about Swansea University's strategic objectives at the VC’s Welcome Event will also help you see how your role fits into the bigger picture. This will enable you to better understand where your career can develop within the University in the future.
To book a place on these events, please use the 'My Courses' module in ABW Self Service. A User Guide available on the ABW log in page.
On-line Statutory & Essential Training
As part of your Induction you are required to complete this statutory and essential on-line training. Please see the Staff Learning and Development Policy.
- Data Protection, Anti-Money Laundering & Anti-Bribery – To access these modules please look under Staff Training, on your Blackboard homepage. No registration is necessary, use your existing username (without the @swansea.ac.uk) and password to log in. Once you have completed the module your ABW training record will be updated automatically.
- Equality and Diversity in the Workplace - If you are unable to log into the Equality and Diversity Training, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- Fire Awareness & Display Screen Equipment - If you are unable to log into the Safety Training, please contact email@example.com
- Line Manager Health & Safety (where applicable) - If you are unable to log into the Safety Training, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
The University website contains lots of useful information for new staff on its University and Staff pages, such as:
We hope you find the information provided on this page useful in early days at Swansea. If you require clarification on any of the information above, or further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us at DTS@swansea.ac.uk.