Disabled Students Allowance (DSA)
If you have a disability, medical condition or specific learning difficulty you may be eligible for funding from the Disabled Students Allowance (DSA).
This allowance is intended to cover any extra costs or expenses that arise while you are studying because of your disability. They are not intended to pay for:
- Disability-related costs that you would have whether you were a student or not
- Study costs that every student might have
- Personal care. Please contact one of our Disability Caseworkers if you need advice on covering personal care costs.
There are four sections within the allowance to cover different areas of need:
- Specialist equipment allowance
- Non-medical helpers' allowance
- General/other expenditure allowance
- Travel costs
How and when do I apply for Disabled Students Allowance?
Students are encouraged to apply for Disabled Students Allowance (DSA) prior to starting their course as it can be a lengthy process. Application forms are normally available from funding bodies from April. Details on the DSA, eligibility and how to apply can be found on the following websites: