Community Progression Project
Please note that this project is now complete.
With the Community Progression Project you can learn part-time and in your local area; you can develop your confidence and study skills so that you will be able to progress onto other higher education courses and even the part-time degree.
The Project offers FREE courses for adults (18 and over) who live or work in the unitary authorities of Swansea, Neath Port Talbot, Carmarthenshire and Rhondda Cynon Taff. There is help with childcare costs and free advice and guidance to help you choose the right course for you; Community Progression workers in each will also offer support and encouragement every step of the way. Students who complete our Foundation in IT course, are additionally supported to gain the European Computer Driving Licence (ECDL).
Courses are held on campus and at our partner community learning centres where you will find a warm and friendly welcome and excellent resource to support your learning, such as IT suites with internet and library services. Many centres also have community cafés and crèches. All courses are part-time and of various duration, from taster sessions through to longer courses that will run throughout the year. See below for a sample of Community Progression courses available during 2007/2008. (Start dates will vary, depending on location and demand).
Tasters and Short Courses
Try out a variety of subjects including History, Psychology, Sociology, Sustainable Living, Community Development, Marketing, Basic IT, Art, Our Natural World, Counselling, Film, Studies, Customer Care, Interior Design, Selling On-Line, Animation, Web Design, Politics and more.
Foundation Certificate Courses
- Foundation in IT (FIT)
- Foundation in Mutli-Media and Design
- Foundation in Business Studies
- Foundation in Sustainability
- Foundation in Creative Industry Studies
- Foundation in Humanities and Social Studies
Bilingual and Welsh Medium Courses
- Cyfieithu Cymunedol 1 (ar bapur) / Community Translation 1 (text)
- Cyfieithu Cymunedol 2 (ar y pryd) / Community Translation 2 (simultaneous)
- Sgiliau cyflwyno a siarad yn gyhoeddus / Presentation skills and speaking in public
- Cadeirio a chymryd rhan mewn cyfarfodydd dwyieithog / Chairing and taking part in bilingual meetings
- Sgiliau cyfweliadau a pharatoi CV dwyieithog / Interview skills and preparing a bilingual CV.
Partner Community Centres
A variety of Community Progression project courses will be available at the following centres, plus others.
- Amman Valley Enterprise Tairgwaith and Ammanford
- ARC Blaenymaes Swansea
- Cana Centre Penywaun
- Cymer Local Action Centre Afan Valley
- Daniel James Community School Treboeth
- Dove Workshop Banwen
- Forge Fach Clydach Swansea
- Glynneath Training Centre
- Menter Cwm Gwendraeth Pontyberem
- New Sandfields Centre Aberavon
- Spark Centre Blaenymaes Swansea
- TABS Porth Rhondda
- DACE Swansea University Campus