Cryfder ymchwil yn Cymru (Saesneg)
The Research Assessment Exercise 2008 (RAE) shows Swansea University pulling ahead of competitor institutions in Wales.
Using a ranking calculation based on ‘research power’ (research excellence and volume of staff) the University is ranked 36th; positioning Swansea second in Wales, behind Cardiff (16th) and well ahead of other competitor institutions.
Within Wales, out of 31 subject areas submitted, Swansea University came first in Wales in 17 areas, and first or second in 24 areas.
Research assessment areas for which Swansea University is first in Wales are:
- Allied Health Professions and Studies (Biomedicine)
- American Studies and Anglophone Area Studies
- Civil Engineering
- Classics, Ancient History, Byzantine and Modern Greek Studies
- Development Studies
- Economics and Econometrics
- Health Services Research
- German, Dutch and Scandinavian Languages
- General Engineering and Mineral & Mining Engineering
- Iberian and Latin American Languages
- Metallurgy and Materials
- Pure Mathematics
- Social Work and Social Policy & Administration