Swansea University

Cyngor Teithio

Advice on traveling on University business

Personal Accident and Travel Insurance

All employees and students of the University are covered under this policy whilst traveling on University business:

a) Outside the UK

b) Within the UK where the person(s) are required to obtain overnight accommodation away from the normal place of residence, or

  c) Where the journey requires an internal flight, and the flight has been booked in advance of the journey.
N.B.  Medical expenses cover is not provided for journeys within the UK (“b” and “c” above).

This cover is automatically in place, therefore, notification of intention to travel need not be sent to the Director of Finance. All travellers should refer to the travel insurance summary, F.E.17.1,  and should take a copy of the with them. In the event of a claim, the traveller must produce evidence that the overseas journey was for University business. Members of staff should submit a copy of the relevant “Request for approval to travel overseas” form (Section F-E.8.3.1.) with their claim. Students should submit a copy of a letter from their Head of Department (or his/her representative) authorising their travel.

If you need to make a claim, one of the following documents should be downloaded, completed in full, and then sent to the Insurance Administrator, along with any relevant documents. Please do not send any claim directly to the insurers.

Cancellation/Curtailment Claim Form

Delay/Missed Departure Claim Form

Medical Expenses Claim Form

Personal Effects & Money Claim Form

Your claim will be dealt with as quickly as possible by our insurers. The more information you give when completing the form, the easier it will be for our insurers to deal with the claim speedily.


Control Risks -Travel Security Online and Country Risk Forecast offer information and analysis on strategic business risk developments, including political, operational and security issues, as well as security issues for travellers and expatriates in more than 200 countries and 330 cities. If you are a member of staff or a student at SU, you can access this site through our intranet, https://Intranet.swan.ac.uk/mainmenu.asp Once you have logged in, you can access the CR website via "Links." You can obtain reports on the country/ city that you are travelling to, as well as being able to sign up for e-mail alerts when you are abroad. Ensure your safety and log in now.

Advice for travellers provided by the Department of Health

Foreign & Commonwealth Office - Essential Travel Advice