It is expected that all staff who intend to apply for external funding will have attended the following course, which provides much useful advice, as well as up-to-date information about the procedures to be followed:
Developing Funding Bids for Grants and Contracts in Research
- Target Audience: All research-active staff
The following courses are particularly relevant to supervisors:
All about postgraduate research regulations and procedures
- Target Audience: Research supervisors, any staff involved with research students
Supervising research students
- Target Audience: Academic staff new to Research Student Supervision, University Senior Line-Managers
Research skills development
The Skills Development Programme organises Postgraduate Research Inductions at least twice a year and short courses held over the whole of the academic year. All students devise a personal training plan at the beginning of their programme, to ensure that they receive specialised skills development required to complete their programme of studies.Each year, Vitae runs three National GRADschools, each of which will:
- be a 3 day residential course
- involve at least half a day of outdoor activities
- be open to all postgraduate researchers in the 2nd year and above from any institution, discipline and age range.
Health and safety courses for postgraduates
It is compulsory for all new graduate students to attend the session on Basic Safety, Emergency First Aid,
VDU Safety and one of the sessions on Fire Extinguisher Safety. The dates of the next sessions are published in the catalogue of Workshops and Courses in Staff Development.
The Vitae Researchers' Portal provides links to resources for researchers, supervisors, research managers and employers.