Student finance for Clearing and Adjustment

What you need to know

If you have already accepted a place through Clearing or Adjustment, you should tell the people who deal with your application for student finance about your change of course and/or University. 

They can then make the necessary amendments for any financial help you're entitled to.

I’ve already applied for Student Finance

If you have already applied for student finance but your course or university details have changed due to the clearing process, you will need to inform your funding authority of the changes.  You can do this quickly and easily by logging into your student finance account and changing your details – even if you applied on paper.



I haven’t yet applied for student finance

Unfortunately, the deadline to ensure loan applications are assessed before the start of term has passed. 

But all is not lost! 

You can still apply for finance but do be aware that your funding provider may not be able to process your application in time for the beginning of your course. 

You can request that you have some student finance made available to you as close as possible to the start of your course by requesting that an initial assessment is undertaken that does not take account of your household income.  This can take less time and will allow you to receive the ‘non-means tested’ element of your funding.

Once your funding authority has received and processed all the relevant evidence and information required to support your application a full income based assessment will be undertaken.  You will then receive a student funding notification letter detailing how much funding you are eligible to receive and the remainder of your student funding award.  


If you are unsure what funding you are entitled too, there is more information available on our Student Loans and Grants page


Once you have applied for your loan, don’t forget to sign and return the declaration you receive from your funding authority. This declaration is confirmation that you agree to the terms and conditions of the funding so no payments can be made until this is received. 

Please remember that the Maintenance Loan and any Grants you may be getting are paid straight into your account but your Fee Loan/Grant will be going straight to the university.