Plan well ahead to make the most of it.
Taking time out can have positive benefits, for example to help you
- Extend your experience and personal development
- Improve your employability
- Develop your understanding of the world of work
- Earn a good reference from your employer
- Do some travelling
- Applying the experience to your final year projects to help you gain a better degree
"Most recruiters look favourably upon people who have taken gap years, if they are able to draw on their experiences and show an employer how they might make them more effective in the role they are applying for." Carl Gilleard, Association of Graduate Recruiters.
But it needs carefull planning to make the best use of your time, so here are some resources to help you:
Opportunities in the UK:
- Year In Industry – www.yini.org.uk, opportunities in engineering or manufacturing.
- National Council for Work Experience – promotes quality work experience for the benefit of students and employers. (website at www.work-experience.org is powered by Prospects.)
- The vacancies database on our main jobs page includes placements and temporary jobs.
- Fledglings, www.fledglings.net - student resource for industrial placements and graduate careers.
- Talentladder – www.talentladder.com - service matching students with employers offering paid work placements.
- Try networking and contact organisations whose area of work interests you.
- our page on Charities & Volunteering has both paid and unpaid opportunities in the UK and overseas.
Finding jobs and internships abroad
- Graduate Prospects website section on working abroad
- – Our page of resources on work and travel abroad