The Department is involved in several major research initiatives including:
- The WISE programme (Welsh Institutes for Sustainable Environments), making the impact of their products and processes more environmentally sustainable.
- The establishment of the Institute of Environmental Sustainability for interdisciplinary research in key topics of global ecology such as climate change and biodiversity.
- The investment in the Sustainable Expansion of the Applied Coastal and Marine Sectors (SEACAMS) project to expand the commercial marine sector in Wales by increasing collaborative research projects between business and universities.
- Algal Biotechnology for Wales Knowledge Transfer Centre based at CSAR provides businesses with advice on microalgal biotechnologies and access to industry-focussed research and technological development.
- EnAlgae - Energetic Algae
- Ecojel - Managing the opportunities and detrimental impacts of jellyfish in the Irish Sea
- Marine - Low Carbon Research Institute (LCRI) - Marine