The RAFBCA team has developed methods and tools to conduct a targeted risk assessment - making this more reliable and industry more competitive. Standard Operating Protocols will be published. Some of the RAFBCA achievements include:
- Development of molecular probes to monitor several important fungal BCAs in the environment;
- Identification of highly sensitive SF-9 insect cell-line - more sensitive than mammalian cell-lines to a wide range of fungal metabolites;
- Identification of highly sensitive single cell organism (Paramecium caudatum) and invertebrates (Artemia salina, Daphnia magna) - very sensitive to metabolites and crude extracts of fungal BACs;
- Development of extraction methods that give good recovery and repeatability;
- Evaluation of the Ames and Vitotox tests, which showed that pure metabolites and crude extracts from BCAs were not genotoxic or mutagenic;
- Protocols for testing crude extracts from BCAs as at time and cost-efficient alternative to the testing of individual metabolites.