Swansea University steering to success
Swansea University was proud to be named Welsh University of the Year in the recent Times & Sunday Times Good University Guide 2017 and is ranked 14th in the UK for graduate employment (Guardian University League Table 2017), further proof that our students are benefiting from our initiatives to help them become global graduates, sought-after in the highly competitive graduate marketplace.
The University's recent achievements are listed below:
Times Higher Education World University Rankings
Swansea University has achieved its highest ever ranking in the Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2017/2018, the definitive list of over 1,000 of the very best institutions in the world.
Swansea University now appears among the top 300 elite institutions across the globe, with a ranking between 251-300 having climbed over a hundred places in the last three years. In addition, the ranking body has also ranked the University 35th out of 93 top UK institutions, and the second highest ranked university in Wales. This also represents the University’s highest ever UK rank.
Research Excellence Framework 2014
The results of the Research Excellence Framework (REF) 2014 showed that Swansea University had achieved its ambition to be a top 30 research University, soaring up the league table to 26th in the UK, from 52nd in 2008. This was the largest jump up the rankings of any research-intensive University in the UK.
Ninety per cent of Swansea research was judged to be internationally excellent in its impact, demonstrating the University’s contribution to the city region, the Welsh economy, and internationally.
QS World University Rankings
Swansea University has again improved its position among theWorld’s top 900 universities in the QS World University Rankings® 2016/2017, published in September 2016, with a new global ranking of 390th.
The University’s growing world-wide reputation has seen it climb 71 places in the QS rankings in the last two years, and Swansea now holds its highest ever position.
According to the latest QS rankings indicators, Swansea University is:
- Ranked in the top 200 for International Students (the proportion of students that are international);
- Ranked in the top 250 for International Faculty (the proportion of faculty members that are international);
- Ranked in the top 350 for Faculty Student (the ratio between the number of academic staﬀ and number of students)
- Ranked in the top 400 for Citation by Faculty (the average number of citations obtained per faculty member, and is an estimate of the impact and quality of the scientiﬁc work produced by universities).
The Independent Complete University Guide
Swansea remains a top Welsh institution in The Complete University Guide 2018. The league table is based on ten measures analysed across 129 institutions and we are 44th in the UK.
Four of our 40 subjects Medicine, Medical Technology, Complementary Medicine (taught as part of Osteopathy) and Celtic Studies appear in the top 10, with a further eight subjects in the UK top 20, and 13 in the top 30.
Swansea University became the top university in Wales in The Times and The Sunday Times Good University Guide 2017 league table – and also won the inaugural Welsh University of the Year title. Its top ranking reflects the University’s ambitious campus development programme, with a £60m upgrade of the Singleton Park Campus less than a year after opening the spectacular new Bay Campus in 2016.
The Guardian's Complete University Guide
Swansea University continued its success story by climbing into the top 40 in the Guardian University League Tables for 2017.The Guardian University League Tables which rank UK Universities confirm that Swansea University is a rising star, having improved its overall ranking over the past year from 52nd to 39th – the largest jump by a university in Wales. The new ranking also indicates a remarkable performance by the University which has jumped 45 places in just 6 years, from 94th in 2012 to 39th in 2017.
QS 5 Stars Ranking
Swansea’s 5 stars rating in the QS Stars assessment firmly places the institution amongst the world leading universities to have also achieved 5 stars such as Harvard, Stanford, Yale, Oxford and Cambridge. QS Stars is a quality rating system which allows students to get a wider picture of an institution’s qualities, looking at everything from the employability of its graduates, to sports facilities and community engagement.
In the assessment, Swansea achieved a top 5 star rating for Teaching, Innovation, Facilities, Internationalisation and Inclusiveness with Employability and Research receiving an excellent 4 stars.
Teaching Excellence Framework 2018
“This gold award reflects the high calibre of teaching and the outstanding student experience that Swansea has to offer, both of which are enhanced by our world-class research and facilities.
“The recent Guardian University Guide found Swansea to be the top university in Wales and to have one of the best employability prospects for graduates in the UK. Students are at the heart of what we do, and our employability strategy equips our graduates well for their future careers. We work to develop their confidence and character, helping them to prepare for a good life, not just a good career.
“This gold rating is testament to the quality of our teaching, and I am incredibly proud of all the academics who have worked so hard to make this happen”.
Professor Martin Stringer
World University Rankings
Did you know...
- Swansea is recognised as being the 26th research-intensive university in the UK according to the Research Excellence Framework 2014
- REF 2014 ranked Swansea University 22nd in the UK for impact, outperforming many Russell Group universities
- “Among research-intensive institutions, Swansea University made the biggest leap, from joint 52nd to joint 26th.” – according to the Time Higher
- Swansea is 23rd in the UK research excellence league tables for universities (after removing specialised medical research institutions with no undergraduate provision)
- Swansea University has doubled its volume of world leading academic researchers in six years (58 FTE staff rated 4* in 2008 and 114 FTE in 2014)
- Swansea University’s Medical School – whose first cohort of medical students graduated in 2013 – is the top medical school in UK for research environment and 2nd for research equality
- 100% 4* and 3* Impact in 8 subjects (Medicine, Engineering, History, Sports, Science, Nursing, Modern Langauges, Celtic Studies, Geography)