CAT Translation Tools Introduction
The main aim of this module is to equip students with the technical skills necessary to use several CAT tools along with the skills necessary to adapt to other CAT tools.
Teaching will focus on selected features of CAT tools which will introduce learners to certain theoretical aspects of the use of said tools. Downloadable tutorials and presentations, along with guided forum discussions on Blackboard will allow participants to develop an understanding of CAT tools, and of how CAT tools may assist them in their everyday work.
By the end of this module, students will be able to:
- Use a range of CAT tools.
- Apply the experiences gained in order to adapt to other tools.
- Demonstrate an understanding of appropriate CAT tool use.
- Demonstrate the ability to critically evaluate CAT tools and to relate the use of those tools to their everyday work.
- Demonstrate a basic understanding of web editing using HTML.
- Demonstrate an understanding of document alignment.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the cloud and how it could be used in the context of students’ work.
- Consider future developments and how they may affect the future of students’ business practices
- More effectively use technology to help them translate more efficiently or effectively.
TILT provides work-based learning to participants from translation companies, including self-employed or freelance contractors, those who are experienced and established, or just starting out.