This module is designed for translators to acquire the key skills and knowledge required to function effectively as a professional in the translation industry, together with insights into the processes and functioning of a translation agency or translation service provider.
The student is likely to be a novice translator, including recent graduates of BA and MA programmes. An employee of a translation company or freelancer or sub-contractor who provides translation services to agencies or translation service providers. The translator is likely to have relatively little experience and need to gain insight into the practical day to day operations and standards of practice of established translation companies.
Bridging the gap between academic training and professional practice in the marketplace, this module aims to promote awareness and provide the student with a good grounding in the required skills, including technology, and best practice requirements for the translation industry.
Improve your employability and increase your work opportunities and performance by meeting the needs of employers and agencies. Or increase the progress and development of your freelance translation practice at a faster pace increasing your chances of building a successful and sustainable business.
Delivered by experienced tutors to workshop groups, this module offers support and motivation together with up to date insights and practical, actionable techniques, helping the professional translator to increase economic viability in both the short and long term.
By the end of this module, students will be able to:
- Have an awareness of the context and scope of the translation industry.
- Understand project management principles and how they apply to translation jobs.
- Communicate and interact effectively with project managers, translation agencies and clients.
- Understand the importance of the client brief, work to briefs and prepare a brief when required.
- Negotiate terms of a project including rates and scope.
- Manage time effectively including contingency planning.
- Provide appropriate services for the translation of certificates and official documents.
- Apply proofreading processes, practice and skills.
- Appreciate the impact of technology on the industry and marketplace.
- Understand and carry out the management of files and documents including version control.
- Handle and prepare documents for the translation process and output to the required specification.
- Use specific industry standard software and tools, including CAT.
- Understand the context and concept of quality and how it applies to the translation industry.
- Gain an understanding of the scope and importance of international quality standards including ISO 9001, 14000 and 15038.
- Ensure that quality standards, including company specific standards as required by employers or agencies are met.
- Appreciate the role of professional bodies and membership organisations.