This module is designed to develop professional translators, to take professional practice forward, to provide solid ground and insights into all aspects of business, and of the business of being a translator.
To acquire essential business knowledge and receive the support needed for success, to find work and succeed in a competitive marketplace.
To establish and promote an awareness of the role of the translator in both the industry and marketplace and help to provide a solid ground for maintaining a healthy work-life balance.
The participant is likely to be:
A freelancer translator or translation business owner with some experience.
A translation business manager or employee who hopes to gain more insight into the business side of the industry.
A desire to take the translation practice or business to the next level, or to make a stronger contribution to the company.
Delivered by experienced tutors to workshop groups, this module recaps on business fundamentals to refocus attention on economic viability.
It offers support and motivation together with up to date insights and practical, actionable techniques, helping the professional translator to become profitable and sustainable in both the short and long term.
By the end of this module, students should be able to:
- Reflect on issues in their own business or professional practice and identify options and methods for improvement or resolution.
- Appreciate how costing, pricing and cash flow techniques will improve their business sustainability.
- Apply project, time and workload management techniques to their own business situation.
- Communicate and conduct themselves professionally to build and sustain credibility in the marketplace.
- Network efficiently and appropriately for business contacts, both in person and using social media.
- Research and segment potential customer demographics, and target groups relative to product or service offerings.
- Show an understanding of the concept of the supply chain and its impact on project management, as well as the never ending search for work.
- Demonstrate an understanding of legal compliance for business particularly that pertaining to the translation industry.
- Manage workload and conflicting priorities while maintaining motivation and work-life balance.
- Understand the concept of branding and how this impacts on business success.
- Plan and implement marketing using a variety of techniques both traditional and digital, including social media.
- Gain insight into the challenges of self-employment and business ownership and establish practical solutions to everyday issues.