How can I find out about the UCAS application process?

UCAS provides a guide for parents and guardians, which gives a full explanation and information about the UCAS applicant journey. Find out more.

How should they choose the right course?

Like all parents or guardians, you will want your son or daughter to go to a reputable university that offers a high quality education. Here are some things you should consider when helping them to choose their course 

I would like to know more about studying at Swansea University

Our comprehensive Parents' Guide is designed to answer your questions and give you all the information you need about your child's journey into Higher Education at Swansea University.

Where will my son/daughter live?

Accommodation plays a large part in student life. University accommodation is available to undergraduate and postgraduate students. Applicants who hold Swansea as their firm choice university are a priority for accommodation. Find out more …

I am concerned about finances and student debt

Have a look at the Swansea University Money Advice and Support Office website. You should find all the information you need regarding student loans and grants.

Are scholarships or bursaries available for students?

Undergraduate Academic scholarships are available. Find out more:

·         UK/EU Scholarships

·         Postgraduate Scholarships

·         International Scholarships

·         Income-related bursaries

What are the term dates for Swansea University?

Here is the weblink to all of the information you require for term and semester dates.

How can I prepare for my son/daughter leaving home?

University is a new and challenging experience so you should encourage them to take responsibility for themselves on a practical level, teaching them to cook a few basic meals and helping them to manage their financial affairs. Have a look at our student support webpage so you can offer them re-assurance if they are concerned. 

My son/daughter has a disability. How can I help them to arrange support?

Support for UK students in Higher Education is usually arranged through the Local Education Authority.  Staff in the Disability and Dyslexia Support Service can advise on applications and arranging support such as alternative exam provision.  They also liaise with academic departments about support needs. Have a look at our Disability Office website for further information.

What happens during the first few weeks?

This is a very busy, exciting, but also potentially quite tiring and stressful time. Some new students are reluctant to join in the social events or feel uncomfortable in crowds of strangers; you can help by encouraging them to take part from the beginning.  Large-scale activities, such as clubs, lively bars etc. are very popular, but many students like smaller or quieter activities instead of, or as a change from, these.  The Students' Union, Student Societies and the University work together to ensure that there are events to help all students settle in to university life – have a look at our arrivals page to help you to guide and encourage your son/daughter. 

Home-sickness and feelings of isolation are more common than students realise.  They will miss you but might not get in touch as often as you'd like. Call them or message them on social media. . . but not too often.

What if my son or daughter is ill or has problems?

We ask students to put an emergency contact on their university record.  We would normally use this only in the unlikely case of medical personnel advising that this is required.  Normally, medical staff would be the ones to make contact if they consider it necessary. We pass contact details to a hospital in an emergency. Hospitals have similar guidelines and do not notify the university of hospitalised students unless the students ask them to.  It is up to students themselves to inform the university that they are in hospital; many choose not to.  If we do have contact with a student in hospital, we suggest that they let people at home know, but cannot do this for them without permission.

Our students have support from our Wellbeing Centre.

How will I know how he/she is doing academically?

The only way is to ask him/her.  UK universities are not permitted to release information about academic progress, attendance or anything else to any third party without that student's express consent.  This includes the student's parents.

Examination results are issued regularly to every student on a taught course - usually after the end of each semester.

If they inform you that they are facing academic problems, try to find out why.  University work is very challenging and even A+ students may receive their first poor grades at this level.

At Swansea, we offer an academic success programme to support study. We also offer English Language programmes prior to study.

Every student is allocated a personal tutor who will be available to discuss academic or personal concerns on a one-to-one basis.

Is there careers guidance?

The College of Arts and Humanities has a dedicated Employability Champion and employability administrator to ensure that our students have the opportunity of a study abroad, work placement or internship. The employability office works closely with the Swansea University Careers Centre who offer careers advice and guidance for students and graduates. Find out more here.  

Who should I contact if I have any queries or concerns?

Pre-application, Application and Admissions Enquiries: Bev Evans, Head of Admissions, Marketing and Recruitment

Email: or

Telephone: +44 (0)1792 606980/606981

Current Student Enquiries: Mrs Ruth Lake


Telephone +44 (0)1792 602394


Twitter: @SUCOAH_family